Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my dwarves wont use barrels?  (Read 387 times)

NoirRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my dwarves wont use barrels?
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:58:45 pm »

I had migrants come in, and they brought horse and llamas, and i dont have an interest starting a cheese or thread industry (if i do, ill be using the tons of pig tails i have) so i slaughtered them. immediately, they stored the "weird" meat, like sweetbread and intestines and stuff, but the actual meat (labeled as "horse meat") is unstored, and is sitting on the floor in the stockpile. I have plenty of barrels and rock pots, and they refuse to move the meat into them. As far as i know, this is going to rot and cause miasma, and i really dont want that. Its 2 pretty big stacks. this also seems to have happened with some of my prepared meals.

whats going on? is this a bug? can i fix it?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: my dwarves wont use barrels?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 06:09:33 pm »

Barrels only hold stacks of up to a certain size.  Your stacks of meat are probably too large to fit in the barrels (while the organ meats, which come in smaller stacks, are fine.).  So they get stored outside of barrels.  Don't worry, as long as they're in a food stockpile they won't rot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: my dwarves wont use barrels?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:41:29 pm »

To clarify, barrels are only capable of holding 10 solid items, and stacked items count the same as unstacked items; as a result, any stacked item with quantity greater than 10 cannot be placed inside a barrel.
Similar limits also exist for bins, with special cases for particularly small items such as ammunition (max 100), coins (max 3000), and various finished goods.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.