Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well just found out about this game :>  (Read 1472 times)

wolfwing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Well just found out about this game :>
« on: November 26, 2011, 05:20:04 pm »

And looks rather intersting, both adventure and fortress mode and such.  How expansive is the adventure mode?  Lots of things to do, or still too early and being fleshed out?

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well just found out about this game :>
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 05:36:15 pm »

There is a lot to do. I have yet to run out of quests to kill specific bandit leaders or monsters. Even small islands seem to have them in abundance. Unfortunately, there is little variety to such encounters and the only reward is bragging rights at this time. Aside from that there is exploration, which is sort of fun on its own and you might discover an awesome location to build a fortress.

And of course you could go on a killing spree in adventure mode and see how many you get before some nasty slash to the throat ends your genocide.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 05:47:06 pm »

Quests in adventure mode pretty much amount to "go kill this monster" or "go kill this bandit". We're getting a lot more variety to enemies and dungeons in the upcoming release, but that's still some weeks off. And cities will be properly extant in the next version. And there's be more going on as additional content is added over the upcoming months and years. As for right now, I'd say that while there's fun stuff to do in DF's adventure mode, you'll probably have a better adventure experience overall from something like Skyrim or Daggerfall.

Fortress mode is pretty complete and is totally unique in what it offers, though.

wolfwing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 05:49:08 pm »

Should I wait for the next version to go up and catch up on other games?  I'm sure this is a hated question, but any timeline for next version?  Just asking as if some time by new years and such I can finish other stuff :>  The game definly looks great from what I've seen.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 05:59:22 pm »

If you're looking at adventurer only, I would recommend waiting for the next version. There's no timeline, optimistic predictions have guessed it would be in December, less optimistic predictions have guessed as late as February. There's no real reason not to finish other stuff, Dwarf Fortress will be here. But fortress and adventure modes are essentially separate games that just happen to occur in the same world (and same .exe) so there's no reason you shouldn't play Dwarf mode now. Especially since it's upcoming features serve solely to make the game more difficult, and frankly if it's your first time you'll probably find it tough enough, due purely to learning curve.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 06:02:28 pm »

No official dates have been given, but from what I've gathered, Toady seems to be making the finishing touches and last minute bugfixes, so we're not too far off.
Hopefully we get the new release by new year. More likely it will January or later (and the obligatory bugfix patches some time after that).

Might as well get the game now and check it out. Next version won't come out next week and at least fort mode won't be receiving anything as drastic as the 2D->3D change was, so most of what you'll learn now will be applicable as such to the new version.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 06:08:41 pm »

Start now, take the time to learn both modes and get used to the game and interface.

The game, especially in fortress mode, is very complex, lurk around the community stories and fort mode boards for a few examples.

Lastly, welcome to Bay12. Leave your sanity at the door.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wolfwing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 06:11:19 pm »

Heh thanks, I love these kind of games, grew up in early online days mudding wich this reminds me alot of. 

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 06:36:18 pm »

Welcome!

If you haven't seen it already, the wiki ( http://df.magmawiki.com/ ) has many useful articles.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 06:49:46 pm »

Personally I've found DF and Bay12 go hand in hand, or in more severe cases, brain bleach and battle axe.

Have !FUN! and welcome to the madness!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 04:32:38 am »

Personally I've found DF and Bay12 go hand in hand,

I don't think it's just you...

... unless I'm doing it waaaaaaaaay wrong.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 05:06:08 am »

Should I wait for the next version to go up and catch up on other games?  I'm sure this is a hated question, but any timeline for next version?  Just asking as if some time by new years and such I can finish other stuff :>  The game definly looks great from what I've seen.
  Addy Mode is still a bit basic, every quest boils down to "Kill this thing."  Still, it has a certain charm and can be a bit addicting.  Fortress mode is very detailed and intricate, and has eaten dozens of hours of my time over the last few months.  I recommend starting to play now.  Then you'll be more used to the basics when the next version comes out, and, having seen the older version, you'll appreciate the update more.

Not sure exactly when the next version comes out, but I seem to remember something like late December or January.  Really, I'm excited for the new version, but the current game is entirely worth playing in its own right.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.