Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrifying Location Fortress Goodness  (Read 1127 times)

aexsar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Terrifying Location Fortress Goodness
« on: November 08, 2011, 02:56:44 pm »

I've been trying to get a specific location type for more Fun. Ideally, I'd like a terrifying location with Iron Ore & Coal / Lignite for steel production to fight off the hordes of baddies I'm hoping to see. Problem is I still feel like I'm randomly embarking and checking to see if I have the requisite materials there (so far no luck). Is there any clues on the world/region map when choosing an embark site to see if a particular location would have those two things? (biome specific, geography, e.t.c).

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying Location Fortress Goodness
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:26:11 pm »

Most iron and all coal/lignite is in sedimentary rock. Of course the embark screen doesn't tell you where the sedimentary rock is anymore, but it can still be found. Try searching for sites with flux stone (most flux is also sedimentary). Also try for a spot with a river/stream (they form real life sedimentary rock, and DF seems fairly accurate in that respect), avoid hills/mountains.

For more detail try: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Sedimentary
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:32:07 pm »

I've never found coal, so I can't give any advice there, except to say that if you breach the caverns quickly, dig down for magma quickly, and dig out large rooms in soil layers, you can do fairly well with just wood and magma.

I'm using a 2x2 embark with shallow soil, and got along pretty well with just wood for my metal industry for quite a while before I added magma. You might need to wall off for a bit in a terrifying biome, since it does take a while for the wood industry to get going underground, but it'd probably be doable with just iron, flux, and a decent amount of soil.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:42 pm »

always embark on the intersection of as many different biomes as possible to maximize the variety of plant, animal, and stone you have access to.
a mountain with a river through it that drops down into a swamp just kicks ass. You'll want for nothing in the life of your fort. And if even one of those biomes is terrifying as you seek, then you'll still get all those nasties you're looking forward to. You'll just have a better idea what direction they'll be coming at you from...
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 12:14:44 am »

A note, as of now the undead are pretty much a joke, even powerful undead creatures (like giants) can be brought down with extreme ease (they used to be extremely hard and as a temporary fix they were made extremely easy).  When you embark on a haunted/sinister/terrifying biome you have the chance of getting just terrible creatures (good) or undead creatures (bad, for reasons mentioned).

So basically, at least until the next release when the undead should be getting quite a boost, any undead zone is a cakewalk (with regards to danger at least).

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:59:27 am »

So basically, at least until the next release when the undead should be getting quite a boost, any undead zone is a cakewalk (with regards to danger at least).
I know some skeletal elephants that were laughing at your post while they were rampaging around my embark  :D
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

aexsar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 04:05:30 am »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was able to find a suitable badlands location which fit the bill perfectly. I previously was hanging around hills/mountains which would reason why I was having such a hard time before. Will be interesting to see how everything pans out here.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 04:39:03 am »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was able to find a suitable badlands location which fit the bill perfectly. I previously was hanging around hills/mountains which would reason why I was having such a hard time before. Will be interesting to see how everything pans out here.
Good luck!  Evil zones are fun and Fun.  If it has undead, well, a few skeletal camels early on could still end you, and if it's with evil creatures, mod your raws to butcher sapients and feast on harpy flesh.  It's what I did, and it makes great revenge for if they kill your dogs(seriously, who kills a guy's dogs?).
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.