Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifacts  (Read 802 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Artifacts
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:44:31 am »

What can i do with the more useless artifacts? i know my dwarf workers get happy if they see them, but how do i pu a ring or crown anywhere on display? can i make a museum or something?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:29:21 am »

You can toss them in a secure vault and demote the dwarf who made it to garbage hauler.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:37:55 am »

You can make finished goods stockpiles that take only artifact quality goods.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 03:54:20 pm »

In vanilla, there isn't anything you can do with it.

You can reduce the number of worthless artifacts you get by giving dwarves with no moodable skills one job as e.g. a weaponsmith, and then turning off their weaponsmithing labor, so that if they win the mood lottery, they'll make an artifact weapon instead of an artifact knick-knack, since their highest moodable skill is weaponsmith.

You can mod in a "display case" building, requiring e.g. a gem window and any other single item, so you can build them as museum pieces. It will add to the architectural wealth of your fortress, and dwarves will get a happy thought from viewing the display case.

I'm not sure exactly what has to be changed in the raws if you want to add one in, but one mod that does it is Mechanixm's Vanilla DF Plus.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 03:59:47 pm »

i kind of got confused with the job assignment here
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:31:57 pm »

What I do is this: I open up Dwarf Therapist, and sort the dwarves by highest skill. Dwarves with no moodable skill can be of any skill level, of course, but more of them have few or low-level skills.

Then, look for ones without any skill in Mining, Carpentry, Crossbow-making, Masonry, Engraving, Tanning, Weaponsmithing, Armoring, Blacksmithing, Metalcrafting, Gem Cutting, Gem Setting, Leatherworking, Woodcrafting, Stonecrafting, Bone Carving, Glassmaking, Weaving, Clothesmaking, or Mechanics. (Those are the moodable skills)

Choose what type of item you want: if it's furniture, then you want to train them as masons, if it's artifact weapons, train them as weaponsmiths, if it's armor, train them as armorers.

To do the training, turn on that labor for the dwarves you've identified as having no moodable profession. Set one workshop profile (q over workshop and hit P, requires a manager noble) to accept only dabbling skill, and queue a job at that workshop. One of your trainees will take that job.

As soon as they've taken the job, turn off that labor (they'll still do the single job once they've taken it, even if you turn the labor off before they start doing the actual work). Be sure to not employ them in any other moodable profession, or you'll lose the benefits of the training, it's strictly something to do for haulers, farmers, wood burners, furnace operators, lye makers...anything not on the list above.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 02:20:29 am »

not that i really mind legendary bone crafters and such, its great for decorating stuff to make everyone happy. Nothing helps happyness more than storing their products in a beatiful bin. On that, do they only decorate stored items or also beds and stuff standing in peoples rooms, this is about the gem option to decorate furniture? I tend to get a lot of decorated barrels
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:23:18 am by Garath »

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:05:19 pm »

I don't mind the bonecarvers either...it's the mostly useless stonecrafters and the completely worthless woodcrafters.

As for your question: they have to pick up the piece of furniture and carry it with them to the workshop in order to decorate it with bone, so they won't decorate anything that's already built, they just grab the closest (as the mole burrows) piece of furniture that isn't built or in use, and doesn't have decorations with the type of bone they're decorating with.

I'd recommend setting up a furniture stockpile that accepts only high-quality furniture, perhaps only masterwork level, next to the shop you use for decorating. (q)->(s) over the stockpile after you've created it to edit what's allowed, the furniture category allows you to specify permitted quality levels. If you'd rather not have barrels encrusted, then turn off barrels under types, and maybe a few other things. I like to turn of bags, and that can be tricky, the best way to do that is to turn off furniture made of cloth (bags and other "containers" like chests and coffers secretly use the same type in the background, so turning off the type for bags also turns off chests and coffers...but bags are the only type of "furniture" that's made of cloth.)

Have you actually seen a dwarf that haas the "admired a <quality> bin lately" happy thought? I'd looked for that once I had a lot of quality bins, but I've never seen anyone with it...my impression was that they can't get a happy thought from noticing anything unless it's built.

Statues, beds, thrones, tables, doors and coffers are the things I usually consider most worth decorating/encrusting, since they tend to cause lots of happy thoughts. It's also great to heavily decorate/encrust a single mechanism, bucket, and chain or rope, since making the well awesome by constructing it from decorated items (or artifacts if you can get them) is also very effective: anydwarf that gets depressed from drinking the same booze for too long and goes to drink water instead gets cheered up by the nice well.