Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: forgotten beasts?  (Read 943 times)

rolk112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
forgotten beasts?
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:38:50 pm »

alright i ran into my first forgoten beast, Durean, a towering flaming blob with wings :(, knowing my army of 10 dwarfs with barely and training and almost no gear would be destroyed if i went against it i sealed up the areas leading to him with walls.  however can the destroy walls? he doesnt seem focused on me, hes just catching everything in the cavern hes in on fire.  also what should i do?
This is DF.  The concept 'good idea' and the concept 'safe' do not belong together in the same sentence.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
Re: forgotten beasts?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:44:35 pm »

Building Destroyers cannot destroy walls. However, it will fly over them if you don't roof things off somehow. Also, if he is literally made of flames, just one hit will destroy him, but he will burst into a raging fireball, probably burninating whoever dealt the killing blow, and anyone else in the immediate vicinity. If you aren't equipped to fight him, I suggest to withdraw all dwarfs from the caverns and sealing off any entrance you have. As well, any (C)onstruction such as walls are immune to being destroyed by anything but a determined dorf with a deconstruct order, and they cannot burn. So far.

rolk112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:59:40 pm »

thanks, right now hes just hovering over a lake and i sealed off the cave so i should be good for now, i feel bad for the troglodyte family though lol
This is DF.  The concept 'good idea' and the concept 'safe' do not belong together in the same sentence.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:09:25 am »

thanks, right now hes just hovering over a lake and i sealed off the cave so i should be good for now, i feel bad for the troglodyte family though lol
You should try and dump water on him. Not sure if it will put him out or not, but it definitely is dorfy.

rolk112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:12:26 am »

lol it doesnt, he went through 3 z-layers of water to kill a cavern crocodile   :o

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:35:36 am »

If you play with [TEMPERATURE:NO] to conserve FPS, that FB might be completely harmless. Well, apart from the guys he manages to hit first.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:28:55 pm »

Yeah, you can't drown them, or put them out. I've encountered two flame-based forgotten beasts, and they were actually the easiest I've come across to kill. One of my recruits killed one of them single-handedly with a few hits from a bronze pickax. The other went down even easier - a single hit from an iron bolt. It could of course just have been luck, but I think it could be possible they're inherently weaker than other types of forgotten beasts. I wouldn't recommend you charge it, though - as I said, I've only seen two made of fire. My advice isn't likely to be the best.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 02:43:59 pm »

FB's that are made of fire, salt, grime, mud, or other weird materials like that actually are the easiest to kill. This is because those materials aren't fully defined in the raws so many of their "combat" stats default to immensely low numbers. If you encounter a non-solid FB any hit will automatically sever parts of it's body or kill it if it hits the main body/head areas. Send a single crossbow dwarf at it and it should kill it without any problems.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:18:06 pm »

alright i ran into my first forgoten beast, Durean, a towering flaming blob with wings :(, knowing my army of 10 dwarfs with barely and training and almost no gear would be destroyed if i went against it i sealed up the areas leading to him with walls.  however can the destroy walls? he doesnt seem focused on me, hes just catching everything in the cavern hes in on fire.  also what should i do?

'Ave ye got any marshmallows, laddie?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 01:53:04 am »

I only encountered 1 forgotten beast, and that was in my "dead" file. Killed by a pond grabber
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.