Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What should I do next?  (Read 832 times)

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What should I do next?
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:22:33 pm »

::Keep in mind I am just finishing my first year:: I am doing a surface only game, though since I have a surface spot that slopes down 5 z levels I am allowing myself just enough stone to make mechanisms for traps, and a little gems(again from "surface" levels only) to decorate my woodcrafts. I have a thriving woodcraft industry (as in I just got my first dwarf caravan and I traded 2 bins of woodcrafts for EVERYTHING I needed and wanted including plenty of arms and armor, but still have 10 more bins left), and am starting a ceramics industry. i have a 5 floor tower with 6 bedrooms per floor with enough furniture to bring quality up to moderate, and I huge communal dining room. I have two legendary woodworkers pumping out masterpeices. I have not made a military yet, simply because I only have 17 dwarves, and have yet to see a single enemy. I have not seen any humans, or elves, or goblins. I saw a few wolves and one elephant. The thing is, I am now bored. What should I do next? If I let myself go on the surface levels a bit, I can have mega freaking butt-tons of chalk, but am staying away from stone.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:26:56 pm by flamewolf393 »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »

You usually don't see elves or humans until the second year, or goblins until you have enough money for them to steal.

Trying to sell wood crafts to elves might put some excitement back in your life.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »

Dig deeper.
What you do there lets me think that elves infested your population (except the woodcrafting), and this is unforgiveable.
Test all your dwarfs:
If they can survive bathing in magma for longer than a minute, they are certainly either dwarfs, or you have another problem called "HFS".
Or fire imps.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:36:37 pm »

Trying to sell wood crafts to elves might put some excitement back in your life.
I thought that just makes them leave in a huff?

@Frelus: Not applicable. We are surface dwarves here! Hmm... would stripping down the entire landscape one layer at a time still count as staying on the surface?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do next?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 04:39:02 pm »

I think that as long as all tiles that are part of your fortress are counted as "outside", you have an outdoor fortress, which means strip mining should be a-okay
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 04:40:34 pm »

Just make sure you don't do anything stupid, like dig underneath the surface and then drop the whole mountaintop on your head.
Lost three forts to that...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 04:50:22 pm »

My favorite is using ramps to clear out a hill and accidentally dropping a tree on a dwarf's head.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 06:29:01 pm »

Though if I start stripmining, then I lose access to my trees...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 06:39:45 pm »

I like digging big holes. I dig a 30x30 channel and in that channel i dig 29x29.. and so on.

Technically it's all "above ground" even though I might end up in the caverns.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.