Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suicide :D  (Read 633 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Suicide :D
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:03:35 am »

The wiki says that a dwarf who was stricken by melancoly will try to kill himself, this never happened to any of my crazy dudes, they usually starve to death.
And usually all of my forts are filled with ponds, deep pits and other suicidal things but still none of my dwarfs ever tried to kill himself.

Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide :D
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:35:19 am »

Just had a diplomat go melancholic in my fort, he jumped in a surface pond and drowned. Maybe it's a range issue- if they can't path to nearby deep water, they just sit in the meeting area and starve?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 10:39:41 am »

Meh.
Great majority of my forts have acess to deep water in the caves or a nearby river, this may be a bug.
Maybe only for the 2010 version I remember that BoatMurdered had suicide dwarfs.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:40:09 am »

I'm not positive I've seen this before either, but I think I have.

My hospital well's cistern has a door that the dwarves use to get access to the water (I had to leave this there because they're dumb and keep falling in the well.  The depth is low enough they don't drown).

Anyway, I had a melancholic dwarf fall down the well, leave the cistern and immediately do it again.  The fall wasn't enough to kill her, and she couldn't drown in the shallow water.

It could have just been stupid pathing though, as I've said, I've seen other dwarves fall down the well several times.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:43:15 am »

I have had melancholy dwarves fall to their death after walking off high ledges.  I don't know if it's deliberate suicide so much as moving at random without any concern as to their safety however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 11:57:54 am »

From my observations and other people's tales, melancholy dwarves don't purposefully seek out death, they instead just get borked path-finding.  Any purpose you see in their wandering is just you seeing an image in an ink-stain.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:48:45 pm »

I think they wander around and suffer greatly until they just stumble upon a dangerous location.

So they won't immediately run out of the main area and throw themselves into the moat... but rather they'll wander around aimlessly, notice they are at the moat and decide to jump.
 Could just be borked path-finding tho. but I don't know ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.