Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miners with hauling turned off are still deconstructing walls.  (Read 833 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miners with hauling turned off are still deconstructing walls.
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:38:02 pm »

I have a certain area to be dug out, and all three of my miners--with ALL their hauling labours turned off as stated in the title--are still rushing to my former town hall to de-build the walls and floors, apparently thinking that getting rid of a simple wall is more important than digging out actual living space.

What do I do to get my miners to dig out my damn designations?

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: Miners with hauling turned off are still deconstructing walls.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:45:06 pm »

Cool story, bro.
Obviously, cancel the walls to be deconstructed, have them get a digging job. Mark walls to deconstruct again so other dwarves will do that.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:46:40 pm »

Deconstructing walls isn't part of any assignable labor. Even nobles and children will do it. If it's a problem, I'd try assigning the miners to a burrow. But I've never had it be a problem.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:50:31 pm »

Dammit! And I'm betting that the deconstruct thing is hard-coded, too.

I suppose I could use burrows, but then the miners won't be able to get at their drinks, because they think that deconstructing walls is more important than mining out new stockpile spaces to get their drinks closer.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:54:26 pm »

Then go with Diamond's advice and turn off the deconstructing until your miners are busy and you have other dwarves that aren't.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:04:42 pm »

BUT once the miners dig ONE GODDAMN TILE, they decide, "Hey, let's go deconstruct those walls some more!" and go back to deconstructing the town hall.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:08:07 pm »

So how long will it take your other dwarves to deconstruct the town hall? Will the miners die of thirst before then? You can create a burrow with their mining area and the booze/food stockpiles. They can be unconnected and the miners will path between them.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:16:02 pm »

it sounds like you're just stressing over time too much. the dwarves are drunk and merry and care not how long a task takes.
take a page from their book.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:26:26 pm »

Burrows need not be contiguous: have the mining burrow include the food/drink stockpile, minus any squares next to walls marked for deconstruction.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 11:01:02 pm »

it sounds like you're just stressing over time too much. the dwarves are drunk and merry and care not how long a task takes.
take a page from their book.
This.  Entirely this.