Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do forts interact?  (Read 746 times)

Omap

• Bay Watcher
  • Jailer of the Dead
    • View Profile
Do forts interact?
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:22:19 pm »

If you're playing fortress mode, and you leave your save and make a new one, will the two fortresses interact? I'm hoping to create my own dwarven empire.

Warped

• Bay Watcher
  • Crowded elevators smell different to dwarfs.
    • View Profile
Re: Do forts interact?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:25:52 pm »

I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me, but as of now I think they do not interact at all. However, Toady did state that he wants to have your dorfs migrate from an abandon fortress to a new one in a near future release.

Omap

• Bay Watcher
  • Jailer of the Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:31:11 pm »

I remember somewhere someone said that they can send caravans to each other, and while this doesn't change the save at all, I think it's neat. I guess only one way to find out.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:40:18 pm »

You cannot create a new fortress in the same world without abandoning the previous one.  To create a new fortress without abandoning the previous one, you need to create a new world, and obviously fortresses in different regions can't interact.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:45:07 pm »

I think you might get immigrants from the abandoned fort and i'm almost certain dwarves will refrence artifacts from abandoned forts, since they part of history but beyond that I don't think they interact at all.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:56:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure I have seen dwarfs draw pictures of things which occurred at previous forts in the same world...so basically your old fort becomes a piece of history and is treating like forts generated in world gen.

Toady has said he is planning on have multiple forts--expanding forts/ creating empires ,etc

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 11:07:48 pm »

I think you might get immigrants from the abandoned fort

This won't happen until the next release.
Love, scriver~

Omap

• Bay Watcher
  • Jailer of the Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 11:17:39 pm »

You cannot create a new fortress in the same world without abandoning the previous one.  To create a new fortress without abandoning the previous one, you need to create a new world, and obviously fortresses in different regions can't interact.

if the fort is treated as abandoned, does that mean destroyed, or will the fort still be "Functioning" but not playable anymore?

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:30:54 pm »

If you check Legends after abandoning a fort, you'll see it's recorded as being just that: the dwarves packed up and left, and the fortress may now play host to Fun new tenants. Bring an adventurer and clean house!
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Omap

• Bay Watcher
  • Jailer of the Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 11:36:07 pm »

If you check Legends after abandoning a fort, you'll see it's recorded as being just that: the dwarves packed up and left, and the fortress may now play host to Fun new tenants. Bring an adventurer and clean house!

ahh.. damn. I was hoping to make a dwarven empire of specialized forts..

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 11:37:54 pm »

One day, Omap... One day.
Love, scriver~