Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does water damage stills and food?  (Read 333 times)

conroe64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Does water damage stills and food?
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:39:42 pm »

I'm kind of a newbie at this game, and I ended up filling my still and food storage with 6 or 7 levels of water. Should I bother trying to get rid of it, or do the items suffer water damage and are irrecoverable? Also, the water went down the stairwell near the bedrooms and main dining hall. Will the dwarfs not like this?

The back story is that I wanted to create a huge farm plot to end all farm plots, so I made a giant underground room and a couple of floodgates and a channel to the river. When I opened the floodgate to the river, it filled the room, but when I went to close it, the dwarves were too busy to close it right away, so it filled with way too much water.

I had to drain it somehow, so I thought that if I drained it into the rest of the fortress, it wouldn't be enough to cause any problems and everything would be fine. However, the water went straight to the basement, where the still was. There was a dwarf brewing there, but he stopped due to "dangerous terrain" and ran up the stairs. I always thought dwarves were stupid, but I guess I wasn't giving them enough credit.

Now I have a flooded still, and half of our food is underwater, including some very nice prepared lobster meals. So anyway, I've been having fun.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
Re: Does water damage stills and food?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:06:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the food and the booze will be fine, and that you can probably keep using the still if you drain the water around it. The food items might slide in the direction the water moves when you drain it though, so you might want a grate to keep it from moving wherever you drain the water.

Food does rot eventually if it's not on a stockpile, though I'm not sure if that still applies if it's submerged or not.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Does water damage stills and food?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:39:21 pm »

It'll rot in the workstation, since the workstation doesn't count as a food stockpile.  If its flooded for awhile, no dwarf will be able to haul it safely away, and miasma will form around the submerged workstation.  From my understanding, a stockpile cannot be placed over a murky pool.  I think 4/7 is about when the dwarfs start veering their courses to and from a flooded area.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.