Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bird Tooth  (Read 1101 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bird Tooth
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:07:55 pm »

Just got a mandate for 1 cardinal tooth item.  Is there anything I can do to get a cardinal's tooth?  I've never even seen a cardinal.  >:(

Thanks.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Bird Tooth
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:13:37 pm »

Well they're vermin so they're generally difficult to spot. Usually they'll be a small red symbol moving around outside. Also, only in DF would birds have teeth.

In addition, you might want to consider that noble having an unfortunate accident

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:14:35 pm »

It is impossible for two reasons.  First, birds don't have teeth.  Second, cardinals are vermin-sized creatures, and vermin can't be processed for body parts like teeth.

This is a bug in DF.  It occurs because cardinals (and all birds) import the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS and BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES templates, which include definitions for teeth.  They don't have any body parts which include tooth tissues or materials, but 'cardinal tooth' is still defined as a valid material for crafting and mandates.

This can be fixed by manually editing the raw files to delete teeth from birds, either by removing them in each bird's creature raws, or creating a new standard material and tissue detail plans specific for birds and edit all birds to use that instead.  This requires a fair amount of editing of the raws, and won't help you with an existing fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:14:36 pm »

Nope. Can't get any sort of material from any vermin unless it's a fish of some kind, and cardinals are birds - which, funnily enough, don't HAVE teeth. I recommend a hearty dosage of...

Necro get in here

EDIT: fealigberigneongoer SO MANY NINJAS ;A;
くコ:彡

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:18:20 pm »

So yeah unfortunate accident that noble. Modding the raws post worldgen might not help too much with fixing your cardinal teeth and a dorfs desire to mandate it. Atleast, I think so.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:19:59 pm »

I recommend a hearty dosage of...

Necro get in here

Sigged

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:20:54 pm »

I was afraid of this.  I guess my medic will be getting some more training in a season or two.

Thanks
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:09:20 pm »

Holy crap. I don't believe I've ever been sigged before. I feel so proud, and also faintly dead inside.
くコ:彡

Cyprinus

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:44:31 pm »

[redacted]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:30:49 pm by Cyprinus »

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:59:51 pm »

If the theory that many dinosaurs evolved into modern birds holds water, then they may well still have a dormant gene that can produce teeth. In fact, I saw a documentary a few years ago on some scientists messing with chicken embryos to make them grow teeth and tails, as well as some more scaly areas instead of skin. It was pretty cool, but they're a long way away from recreating the dinos through genetic re-engineering.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 09:24:09 pm »

Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 05:59:47 am »

Yeah, my baroness was demanding for rat bone items. Yeah, we got those by the magma forges. Oops...
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 06:23:48 am »

It's a good thing that actually getting this bug is as rare as hen's teeth.

... sry

Sivere

• Bay Watcher
  • Slightly Unhinged
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 06:49:47 am »

The soultion is simple.

Punch the first dwarf you see who is wearing this:

...and collect the teeth.
Dwarfs will have access to the internet in version .99.99, when even Toady cannot push the game further. They will then discover the Bay12 Games website, creating an infinitely recursive chain of realities that will eventually reach critical mass and coalesce into DF 1.0, emerging from their web-based cocoon like some kind of meme-encrusted chrysalis.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 10:44:10 am »

If I see a dwarf wearing that costume, punching it is the last thing on my mind.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.