Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Argument for horizontal fortresses  (Read 9113 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Argument for horizontal fortresses
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2011, 11:15:07 am »

But dwarves have the ability to create paths around choke points. Attackers currently do not.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 01:38:57 pm »

I always build/ dig on single level. it results in awesome aesthetics and chaotic looks
I miss 2d version forts for their stunning looks

some of my forts
http://postimage.org/image/4n9jr3dxp/
http://postimage.org/image/6y2jy5idp/ Rawbeer the microcline fortress
http://postimage.org/image/50kfb3dn1/ this one is pretty chaotic

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:46:09 pm by dwarfhoplite »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 02:13:40 pm »

But dwarves have the ability to create paths around choke points. Attackers currently do not.

Ask yourself this, what goes faster. A bolt, a minatour, or the digging speed of a dwarf.

Above ground forts, it's even worse - All of your defences take aeons to deconstruct/build/replace.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 05:07:02 pm »

Plan ah-
ead.

Build strategic drawbridges (and/or "bridge-be-gone"s) so that routes can be opened (and closed) according to need.  A bit more work, but then (within the vagaries of getting some spare dorf to pull the assigned lever) while the enemy is advancing (or rettreating) through the terrain of your choice, stranded friends can (dorf-logic willing, which may well be an iffy chance, but can usually be finenessed) sneak back in a back or side door while ambushers can quickly get to overlooks and then storm over to the escape-route (if any) the demoralised invaders try to run through.  Or you just keep them trapped for live-firing practice. :)

(Right, really need to go through the process of uploading the current long-term project fortress to DFMA or something.  This'd illustrate the concept quite well, albeit that there's way too much building and excavating work currently going on to be a particularly pretty sight overall.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:22 am »

Finally got around to uploading my current fortress, frequently referenced in various threads, but notably this one.

I've gone over-verbose on the POI-front, so I very much doubt you'll have any additional questions about its construction, but I can always add even more POI stuff. :)

Hmmm.. some summary.  Could do with summarising. :)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 08:46:06 am »

Hmmm.. some summary.  Could do with summarising. :)

Let me explain... No, there is too much.

Let me sum up.

-Indigo Montoya

Still, if were drinking coffee at that moment, I'd have lost some through extra-nasal activity.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:01 am »

There was a mess of quote pyramids and derails for a few pages.  A few on-topic posts mixed with the quotes have also been removed for continuity.  Please stay on track, or at least enough on track to avoid passenger casualties.

Hello new signature.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2011, 09:13:50 am »

Cool forts @dwarfhoplite

I'm moving towards a more horizontal fort build, limited myself to roughly 3z levels this time.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2011, 10:01:29 am »

completely vertical is no fun..

My forts generally comprise 4 levels.  trade depot near the surface, wood stock piles and carpentry work shop and often farming near the surface.  The barracks is normally a  level higher or enemies at least have to go through it to get to the rest of the fort.

I then normally have one main floor somewhere lower down divided in quadrants. One quadrant is a HUGE dining hall with a statue hall going around it...behind each statue is a coffin and when someone is placed in the coffin I build a statue in front in their honor.  The other quadrants are dedicated the the various industries of the fort.

A level right below (if the dining hall is multiple stories with a huge ceiling height) or right above otherwise is a kitchen stores, kitchens, and rooms for the nasty business of butchery and rooms for milking.  Between the huge dining hall and kitchen is a gride of staircases so that a dwarf only has to walk a few tiles to grab food no matter where he is in the dining hall.

A level a bit further down (5 or 6 levels more) that  contains sleeping quarters..and occasionally small dining halls and offices. Otherwise offices are located just above sleeping level.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]