Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On limiting civilian casualties while travelling outside the fortress  (Read 1427 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: On limiting civilian casualties while travelling outside the fortress
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 10:09:16 am »

Shave their beards and dress them in all those snatcher loincloths. 

Seriously.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can only imagine noncoms needing offduty unies in sinister biomes.  However, my imagination is pretty limited and I'm a clueless noob.  Seems like a ton of work the dwarf AI should be doing.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 01:16:43 pm »

The civilian uniform idea does wonders. Even just a wooden shield, a metal helmet, a cloak and a weapon makes a dwarf a lot safer. Add as much metal armour to that as you can (chain shirts, then high boots, then leggings, then gauntlets), but 130 dwarfs takes a LONG time to armour properly. The cheap version works reasonably well (and never usually stuffs up, everything is able to be worn over clothes).

That, and give your hunters/miners/woodcutters decent weapons. Copper bolts/crossbows or bronze/steel picks and axes at the very least. These are your least protected dwarves, who are often in the more dangerous areas, so they should at least be able to retaliate well. Attack is a certain form of defense.

Can we call it Dwarrior Fortress?

We could also danger room them all.

Do civilians fight back?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 04:48:43 pm »

The civilian uniform idea does wonders. Even just a wooden shield, a metal helmet, a cloak and a weapon makes a dwarf a lot safer. Add as much metal armour to that as you can (chain shirts, then high boots, then leggings, then gauntlets), but 130 dwarfs takes a LONG time to armour properly. The cheap version works reasonably well (and never usually stuffs up, everything is able to be worn over clothes).

That, and give your hunters/miners/woodcutters decent weapons. Copper bolts/crossbows or bronze/steel picks and axes at the very least. These are your least protected dwarves, who are often in the more dangerous areas, so they should at least be able to retaliate well. Attack is a certain form of defense.

Can we call it Dwarrior Fortress?

We could also danger room them all.

Do civilians fight back?

Occasionally. They do shoot anything that looks halfway funny at them if they have xbow uniforms off duty.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 05:35:21 pm »

Do civilians fight back?

Most of the time civvies just run away until they're missing their legs, in which case, they'll crawl to safety. If they lose their arms, they'll use their teeth. If they lose those, they'll cry into their beards and hope to Armok that they don't lose that as well.

Occasionally though, you get a particularly heroic dwarf that pokes a titan with his little tower and sends the head(s) flying. Dwarven law dictates that they become the ruler of all in existence and deserve a magaproject built in their image (literally) which becomes their new home afterward, complete with world-filling magma levers.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 07:15:17 pm »

130 dwarves hard to armor? I suppose, if you're not willing to use the elves. They always seem to bring me wooden armor, no matter how many times I tell them go shove it in a knothole, so might as well do something useful. As long as they don't encounter something on fire. (Dragon's don't matter, they burn everything.)
Pages: 1 [2]