Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for a new player on dealing with attacking titans or megabeasts?  (Read 489 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since cage traps are a holdover system currently, and it seems a bit ridiculous to trap titans and megabeasts in them, i'm not gonna use any in my games even if it means earlier fun.

I have a decent front entrance defense set up, but i'm worried about titans difficult to hurt conventionally like the bronze collosus. Any suggestions for some sort of pit trap i can make or something in front of my defense line to kill or at least hurt mega enemies?

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile

Titans and FBs have [TRAPAVOID], so feel free to cage trap abuse. The best way to kill most Titans and FBs in my opinion is skilled marksdwarves, or ballista. The syndromes they carry can be quite devastating, so better to not get anywhere near them. As for bronze colossus, unless you really want that masterwork bronze statue, I'd suggest magma.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For most non-titan megabeasts, a good militia with a spread of axes, spears and hammers, or a few crossbowdwarves, are surprisingly efficient. If you can kill a goblin patrol, you can take care of a minotaur or a cyclop easily.
Fire breathing beasts, like the dragon, are another kind of !!FUN!!, though...

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile

Not much isn't going to be severely injured by a 12 z-level fall, if you want to dig a pit trap, channel the levels 1 at a time. At the bottom of the pit, place access to your fort that can remain sealed with a raising bridge until you want to collect gore-splattered goblinite.

Actually getting the enemies to fall in is trivial. A thin platform of weapon traps with your desired pit gaping either side will often catch creatures trying to dodge the trap attacks. Either that or time it perfectly with a retractable bridge, but more can go wrong doing that. Note that as said, a lot of beasts avoid traps, dodging can still be achieved by using a ballista behind fortifications, just make sure that your operators are far enough away not to chicken out.

Its probably best having a wide main entrance that can cover heavy dwarf traffic but can be sealed in an attack, while having your balancing-act trap corridor similarly sealable, but only opened to lure victims in.

For insurance you can place some upright spikes at the bottom of the pit, but most corpses tend to literally explode upon impact anyway.

EDIT: above methods don't work against dragons.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:40:46 am by Muttonhawk »
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile

Dragons don't have TRAPAVOID, if I remember right. Something about them being an excellent pet.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So if a dragon or one of the more fun titans comes i'm a bit screwed eh, all part of the fun! :p

My military isn't great, this is only my second fortress. But i've managed to defeat goblin sieges, something i couldn't do last game. Progress!

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It takes roughly 120 dwarven wrestlers to kill a dragon. Make lots of spears and shields, and make sure they're equipped, as this will help.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?