Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to get alot of grizzly bears?  (Read 494 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to get alot of grizzly bears?
« on: November 06, 2011, 04:47:23 pm »

I embarked in a temperate conifer forest but I haven't seen any yet, nor have the elves brought any.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to get alot of grizzly bears?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 05:00:38 pm »

Is the nearest elven civilization located in the right biome to have grizzly bears? If not, they'll never bring them.

The easiest way to get any given animal is to add [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] under the dwarven entry in entity_default, generate a new world, and pick a civ that has that biome within its territory. If it's an Evil or Good animal (Beak Dogs or Unicorns), then you need [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] or USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] as well.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to get alot of grizzly bears?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:15:53 pm »

Is the nearest elven civilization located in the right biome to have grizzly bears? If not, they'll never bring them.

The easiest way to get any given animal is to add [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] under the dwarven entry in entity_default, generate a new world, and pick a civ that has that biome within its territory. If it's an Evil or Good animal (Beak Dogs or Unicorns), then you need [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] or USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] as well.

I've noticed that if a civ has, say, giant tigers available on embark, they won't be listed under 'pets' when the liaison asks what you want from the caravan next year-- just the usual stuff like cats and chickens. Will [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] make that list consistent with the embark-purchaseable animals?

Also, if the elves are bringing any big cats (tigers, lions, etc), get those instead. They're much faster, have claws and teeth, and are at least as big. The giant variants are also incredibly powerful.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!