Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: arena  (Read 1141 times)

rolk112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
arena
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:29:53 pm »

alright im building an arena however im not good with levers and traps and other things of that variety so how would i do it? is there a way to release the monsters that wont risk killing my dwarfs? i want it to be like a training arena for my soldiers and to be a creature vs creature arena
This is DF.  The concept 'good idea' and the concept 'safe' do not belong together in the same sentence.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: arena
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 12:08:22 am »

Basic way to safely release a creature only takes a couple of steps.

Requirements:
1 cage with creature
1 constructed lever
2 mechanisms (1 of these is recovered after each use)

Steps:
1)Build cage in desired release location
2)Connect cage to lever in the options in the lever building (this can be done multiple times if you wish to release multiple cages simultaneously)
3)Pull lever
4)Profit!

After each lever pull, the mechanism on the cage can be recovered along with the empty cage (assuming they both aren't in the middle of your new dragon pit that is ;)). You can then build a new cage and use the same mechanism and lever, however the mechanism in the lever is stuck in there so 1 new mechanism is needed. In order to then later recover the mechanisms in the lever, you simply need to deconstruct and then rebuild the lever, and it will drop all connected mechanisms.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

rolk112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:52:56 am »

sweet thanks, although im gonna have to start a new base now though lol, i just failed at my first siege
This is DF.  The concept 'good idea' and the concept 'safe' do not belong together in the same sentence.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:18:17 am »

Just be sure the released critter can't escape the arena and go rampaging through your fortress..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 01:23:05 am »

Just be sure the released critter can't escape the arena and go rampaging through your fortress..

But that's the !!FUN!! part.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:58:33 am »

A simpler way still is to set up a mass-pitting scheme. You might want to check the wiki for that. Takes up more space, but saves time linking & pulling levers. An endless source of amusement, should said pit happen to be your military training room...
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 11:21:45 am »

A simpler way still is to set up a mass-pitting scheme. You might want to check the wiki for that. Takes up more space, but saves time linking & pulling levers. An endless source of amusement, should said pit happen to be your military training room...
yes but it also causes problems, in my experience when i make a pit exactly like the wikipedia says how do mass pitting, i have issues with hostiles, as they like to kill fight for their lives while theyre being thrown into a hole of death, go figure. it might just be me, but when i do it i get a handle full of lose goblins, and a couple dead dwarves.
Caravan in depot = Broker is on break/sleeping/eating/drink.
Caravan leaves =  Broker has no job.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 01:28:33 pm »

Wear a suit of armour, and pit them each one at a time.