Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stairway to hell  (Read 979 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Stairway to hell
« on: November 04, 2011, 01:52:49 pm »

If i have dug down into a cavern, but only made the stairway up/down on the level above, can forgotten beasts still get in? or do they need an up staircase on that level?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: Stairway to hell
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 01:59:54 pm »

Flying FBs can still get in, so you'll want to keep a heads-up for that.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 02:13:16 pm »

yeah, i found that out just yet the hard way. A FB Blob of Water with Wings has entered the area... greatest thing, the "exit" is in an empty cavern, very hard to close off
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 02:53:44 pm »

this is easy enough to deal with -- once you've dug up/down stairways breaching the ceiling of the cavern, just {b}uild {c}onstruction {u}p-stairs over the designated up/down stairs.  That will seal off the hole while still allowing your dwarves to go back up afterwards.

--nomad_delta

edit: accidentally used formatting
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:15:30 pm by nomad_delta »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 03:11:26 pm »

thanks a lot. This way i can still keep the benefit of holding lifestock inside the fortress without having dangers from above And below as well

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:37:53 pm »

this is easy enough to deal with -- once you've dug up/down stairways breaching the ceiling of the cavern, just {b}uild {c}onstruction {u}p-stairs over the designated up/down stairs.  That will seal off the hole while still allowing your dwarves to go back up afterwards.

--nomad_delta

edit: accidentally used formatting

Up-stairs...Brilliant! I always just used floors.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »

And i kinda figured out when your caverns start to spawn moss and fungus. It means that natural caverns are really, really close to the surface. Withing 15 layers every time so far

It really sucks for early expansion, since you cant dig too far down, so you have to make a horizontal fort, not vertical, and occasionally you'll actually lack stone for your constructions. I've always run into enormous deposits of magnetite in such cases, providing astounding amounts of iron.

the benefit is easy. Screw above ground. Build  a Battle Tower above your entrance. All animals are safe inside. By excavating vast sub terran caverns with sandy or clay soil, you get your own nice tree industry, safe from invaders. If you brought some birds, you wont need to fish at all, since 3 hens lay more eggs than 50 workers can eat. Just keep them and any chicks you choose to hatch later on in a place where there is no regular interaction with your workers, as chicks are very prone to become pets

An early thing i always do i bring dogs. Later on they cant compete at any level, not even as war dogs, but having a cage with 100 wardogs (ok, so only 20 so far) set to release as someone steps on a trigger way back will give you a good warning that something is up

later on you'll just use some trigger plates to get the enemy locked in trapped place, with battlements on the sides so that if they dont shoot, you shoot them, etc....

now i just got to make it like this