Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaiming someone's fortress :)  (Read 2557 times)

Pooky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reclaiming someone's fortress :)
« on: November 05, 2011, 07:07:24 am »

Hello,

After playing Dwarf Fortress for a while, I am looking for a new challenge! But for this I need your help.

Basically, I want to reclaim a Fortress. But not one of mine, because I know every single doorway of it. I want my dwarfs do discover it, bit by, to fight for the rooms if need be and to empty flooded level. So I am looking for someone else fortress. I have been looking in the comunity saves, but I didn't really found something I like.

Here is the fortress save of my dreams:
- someone that played for survival and fun more than mega construction. I like heavy defenses, walls, training rooms, and a general fortress display aim at defense.
- I'd like an advance fortress. One that had more than 100 dwarfs (ideally reach 150), with different level for leaving, nobles and all. One that would had most industries set up.
- I would love if the fortress was lost to something, with flooded levels, walled mine to unnamed things, goblins lost inside.
- And I like if there are some weird project, labyrinth, temples, traped rooms, goblins pits, power plants...

I don't necessarily require all this. But if anyone as an ongoing (or a lost) game close to this, I will love if you could share it. If the fortress asn't been abandon, no worries, I will do it myself.

I have one such fortress that I haven't abandon yet, but I am bored with it. If someone is interested.

Many thanks!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Reclaiming someone's fortress :)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 08:32:15 am »

Hello,

After playing Dwarf Fortress for a while, I am looking for a new challenge! But for this I need your help.

Basically, I want to reclaim a Fortress. But not one of mine, because I know every single doorway of it. I want my dwarfs do discover it, bit by, to fight for the rooms if need be and to empty flooded level. So I am looking for someone else fortress. I have been looking in the comunity saves, but I didn't really found something I like.

Here is the fortress save of my dreams:
- someone that played for survival and fun more than mega construction. I like heavy defenses, walls, training rooms, and a general fortress display aim at defense.
- I'd like an advance fortress. One that had more than 100 dwarfs (ideally reach 150), with different level for leaving, nobles and all. One that would had most industries set up.
- I would love if the fortress was lost to something, with flooded levels, walled mine to unnamed things, goblins lost inside.
- And I like if there are some weird project, labyrinth, temples, traped rooms, goblins pits, power plants...

I don't necessarily require all this. But if anyone as an ongoing (or a lost) game close to this, I will love if you could share it. If the fortress asn't been abandon, no worries, I will do it myself.

I have one such fortress that I haven't abandon yet, but I am bored with it. If someone is interested.

Many thanks!

Well, I have a fortress where upon abandonment my resident minatour prisoner armed himself, and the goblins clustered around adamantine spires within my fortress, and the human archaeology teams I sent were all butchered horrendously. Since then though, I lost that version of my save, but I could send you an abandoned version of my current save, although results... They may vary.

Pooky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:06:03 pm »

Yep! If you have that save, it could be fun :)

Does anyone else has a big fortress ongoing?

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:18:59 pm »

I had a 130 dwarf fortress lost to a Bronze Colossus. If you can manage to kill the colossus, it was one of my richest forts.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:09:37 am »

I suggest to add "decent FPS" as requirement.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 06:46:14 am »

I have my current fortressn (pop 200 and some years old), which is very FUN to reclaim (it's still going, but I tested in Adventurer mode by duplicating the save). I have a lot of prisoners, including a dragon, two bronze colossi and a pack of goblins, a giant, a cyclops not to mention a few FBs in the caverns. When I visited as an adventurer there was a major battle taking place in the corridors!

... of course reclaiming a fort from a pair of bronze colossi is easier said than done...

Only thing you might not like is that the world was genned in 31.14, so it has .14 mineral quantities (IE lots) and is missing some of the things later versions added (bees, badgers etc).
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Pooky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:47:18 am »

Only thing you might not like is that the world was genned in 31.14

I am fine with this. So how may I get your saves?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 08:31:15 am »

I'll upload them to the save site in a bit. First though I'm going to do a little bit of "cleaning" because there are some undesirable things to remove, eg cage traps in the corridors that would spoil the fort, setting levers in the right position, etc. But I'll post the link when it's up :D

Edit: here you go :D http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5154

Are you planning to keep a journal for the reclaim? It'd be quite entertaining to read...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:59:40 am by imperium3 »
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Pooky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 03:24:59 pm »

Many thanks!

Are you planning to keep a journal for the reclaim? It'd be quite entertaining to read...

That a good idea, I will try to put something together :)