Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unable to appoint Nobles/admins with two survivors  (Read 529 times)

Diicc Tater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unable to appoint Nobles/admins with two survivors
« on: November 04, 2011, 01:35:26 am »

Right, I'll try to keep it short and to the point:

Pop limit set to 50, military squad of 6 danger roomed uber axe dwarfs.
Merchant (dwarf) arrives, so does ambush. Merchant goes berserk and makes short work of some of my civilians who headed to pick up the loot from the dead donkeys/camels. The civs were unburrowed so nothing strange.
I react with swift and sweet justice and let my military hack up the merchant and the guards who still protect him.
A certain "feature-by-design"* happens. (my first time)

Now while I look on in surprise and amusement the population is chiseled down to two surviving dwarfs. They kill everything as a more veteran player would expect.

At this point they are Count and Mayor.

A few migrants arrive (2) and they live a short and whipped life in the fort.
The 2 remaining axelords go insane and goes to their rooms and I lock them in JUST as another 2 migrants arrive and make it to the fort.

I decide to keep this one going and as the last two of the original crew die from thirst/hunger the two newcommers manage to pull the levers to close the fort to the outside world. The only living dwarfs are now the last migrants.

When the next caravan arrives I remember that I need a broker and go to the (N)oble/Admin screen to find that I can't select anyone for any position. It's not that they don't have the skill, that wouldn't matter. The screen is all blank apart from the control key list at the bottom.

I am surprised by this little message:

Stubbornly I keep the fort running another year with these two. I then notice that the last goblin invasion had claimed a door to the fort and I retake it.
I go to the (R)ooms screen and flick through it and notice that a few rooms are marked in red and tagged with a red "S". I (f)ree whatever furniture is defining the room and this goes away.

Another batch of 20 immigrants arrive and I let them in.

Another few months go by as I let the dwarfs handle the cleanup and burials. I keep checking the Admi(n)s screen quite often.
It's not until another dirty elven trader peaks in over the boarder that I see that I can finally appoint Nobles/Admins again. YAY!

So:
Did I lose the mandate to appoint leaders as the last of the admins died? It made me lose any kind of leader.
Did the goblins, for a short time, "own" the fort due to the claimed door and the low number of inhabitants?
*I really don't think it should be called a bug... perhaps a warning could help tho. :)

Short and neat. :P

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Unable to appoint Nobles/admins with two survivors
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:38:40 am »

I go to the (R)ooms screen and flick through it and notice that a few rooms are marked in red and tagged with a red "S". I (f)ree whatever furniture is defining the room and this goes away.
Just so you know, that red+"S" means that the rooms are "shared" - specifically, they overlap with other designated rooms and thus have reduced value.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Diicc Tater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:48:38 am »

Just so you know, that red+"S" means that the rooms are "shared" - specifically, they overlap with other designated rooms and thus have reduced value.
Aha! Thanks.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:26:38 am »

What ? So a goblin thief was in charge of your fortress ? Damn awesome!
I hope that may there might be some bug that would allow that.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:46:25 am »

hmm I really want to know the answer to this...very fascinating.

Diicc Tater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 12:51:27 pm »

I've got a save from just before the message about that mandate popped up. I'll see if I can upload it if you want to have a look.

Edit: Game crashes when I abandon the fortress. Tried on start as well as after I regain the ability to appoint admins again. :(
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:59:35 am by Diicc Tater »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 03:50:46 pm »

If the goblin was in charge at some point .. it should show up in legends.

Copy the world folder and abandon the copied world so you can access the complete legends and read up on the noble sir Zolakbod.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.