Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Appointing a Baron  (Read 541 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Appointing a Baron
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:51:15 am »

So I didn't pre-scout a good baron candidate  :-\ and now the emissary from Mountainhomes is asking for recommendations.  Is there any way to check a dwarf's preferences while the game in running without backing out of the "choose a candidate screen"? 

And also, to make sure I know what I'm doing, preferences affect both mandates and export bans, right?  So I want some dwarf with preferences I am able to produce, but not that are pivotal to my trading plans? 
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: Appointing a Baron
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 08:57:24 am »

If you're not sure yet, you can put it off until next year instead.
And also, to make sure I know what I'm doing, preferences affect both mandates and export bans, right?  So I want some dwarf with preferences I am able to produce, but not that are pivotal to my trading plans? 
Yes.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:58:10 am »

No, and probably.

I just either note a few dwarves as a nobility choice due to prefs long before the emissary comes, or else have a specific dwarf (usually the expedition leader) be the future baron.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:14:49 am »

Another thing worth thinking about is if they have children. If your baron/count/duke dies you can't replace them, but if they have a grown up child by that point then they will apparently succeed them. (Mine never seem to last that long...)

(edit:typo)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:22:20 am by rhesusmacabre »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:19:04 am »

I find my trader makes a good baron, thanks to the social skills he gains when trading.
This is a blank sig.