Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming question  (Read 652 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farming question
« on: November 04, 2011, 02:55:19 pm »

So I have three rows of farm plots for a total of about 40 squares.  My problem is I am growing tons of plump helmets that just sit there in the field and wither.  I have a ton of space in my food stock pile.  I have 3 farmers with nothing but farming as their labors.  I looked over the wiki to see if I am missing something, but I can't seem to figure out what.

How to I get this bounty from the field to the stockpile? :'(

Thanks
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: Farming question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 02:59:13 pm »

Check the (o)rders menu and see if you've accidentally set it to "dwarves ignore food". While you're there, there's also an option to make "all dwarves harvest", so it's not just your farmers picking mushrooms.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 02:59:45 pm »

Are you sure you have space in your food stockpile (the space isn't blocked by hidden rocks or something)?

Did you disable gathering of food in the orders menu?

Did you turn off the option that lets all dwarves harvest food?

Does your food stockpile permit plump helmets?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 03:06:43 pm »

You guys rock.  I had somehow told my dwarfs to ignore food.  Of all the (logical) suggestions, it was the one I had yet to check--and the one I needed to.

Great help!  May your beard grow long, your temper short and your ax be ever covered with blood!
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 03:10:52 pm »

You guys rock.  I had somehow told my dwarfs to ignore food.  Of all the (logical) suggestions, it was the one I had yet to check--and the one I needed to.

Great help!  May your beard grow long, your temper short and your ax be ever covered with blood!

*Raises a mug full of gnome blight and liquified gnome*
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 03:52:06 pm »

*Raises a mug full of ‼MAGMA‼*
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 05:22:21 pm »

Hopefully not his own blood!   :o
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »

There are worse ways to go out.

Cyprinus

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 10:15:48 pm »

Hi! I decided to de-lurk because I also had a question that doesn't seem to be addressed by the wiki.

I haven't played since the last version (or something like that: not since April, anyway), and the last I checked underground farms needed to be muddied, even in soil. Is this still true? I've always hated underground farming because of the sheer amount of time it takes for me to set up irrigation and then allow the water to (soak into the ground? evaporate?). If this is still true, does anyone have suggestions for making farming more efficient? Many thanks!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 10:19:55 pm »

Soil or sand doesn't need irrigation :)
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Cyprinus

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:24:35 pm »

All right! Thanks!