Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Epic River Babyseize (aka the Grand Canyon of Dwarf Fortress)  (Read 8289 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Epic River Babyseize (aka the Grand Canyon of Dwarf Fortress)
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 11:32:24 pm »

Indeed!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 03:20:43 am »

It looks the same now - canyons and everything, but with MORE MINERALS. And almost no flux...

I think some of the towns and stuff have moved a little differently and it takes a LOT longer to gen when it has to worry about minerals as well as water.

Currently on a side-river to Babyseize, but I grabbed a volcano with a small canyon, as it will take me a while to wean myself off instant magma.  Also seem to have the full complement of Fortress Defence, so this will be interesting.

To change scarcity, go into the Design new world with advanced parameters, select the code you've stolen from here (I named it Grand Canyon when I pasted it into the init notepad file), press [e], then scroll down to Mineral Scarcity - between min. volcanoes and max megabeast caves.  The lower the number, the more minerals.  100 is the lowest it goes.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 04:34:11 am »

Superb, thanks for the tip!

Greader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 07:13:20 am »

So, did somebody try building a fort already that is suspended above the water, inbetween the cliffs? It seems that there is a lot of space at least, though building it might take some time. It would be funny if the whole thing was held up by a single pillar or a single floor tile.

Or that canyon could be used for the largest moat in the history of DF. But I like the above idea better.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 10:26:34 pm »

Well, abandoned my training fortress here (long stretch playing with intricate cunning plans, and then windows decides to close DF for me).

No sense scumsaving here, so it's off to conquer the Grand Canyon.  Hopefully with coal and flux somewhere... Strike the ground for Earthwhiskers!

27 z-level waterfall into the WIDE Babyseize, with rubies, coal and limestone.  And a huge number of carp dying as they slide over the waterfall.  Hopefully no dwarves end up that way...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

That Guy Over There

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 11:31:46 pm »

Can someone learn me how to reduce scarcity on a map I gen based on the map gen here?
Then hoo was fone?
I think the better question here is if anyone has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 12:04:27 am »

Well, I've been playing this. I regenned the world with a lower mineral scarcity (AWESOME tip - thank you!) and I've got a pretty good fortress going on my original site, although now I have loads of magnetite, galena, and gems.  :D At some point I will upload a map to the archive, but that'll be quite a ways off. I think I'm going to try to design a fortress that puts my last serious effort (Reinhammers) to shame, and that... is going to take some time.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2011, 12:29:44 am »

27 z-level waterfall into the WIDE Babyseize, with rubies, coal and limestone.  And a huge number of carp dying as they slide over the waterfall.  Hopefully no dwarves end up that way...

Don't worry; they will :P

I lost maybe 6-10 dwarves on one particularly awe-inspiring fortress, Lovearmors.
Founded right on the banks of a massive river, water and it's inhabitants (CARP) claimed the lives of maybe 30 or so dwarves.
I consider it an unparalleled success for myself. Only recently gave up on a remotely comparable fortress, and I've never seen a more perfect embark site, both in defense and beauty. I miss it dearly. The lack of magma and presence of an aquifer were the biggest drawbacks... It was exceptionally FUN either way. Those coffins in the temple were packed to the point I had to double up on coffins in the upper chambers of the catacombs.

And no, I still don't think I had enough statues. IT NEEDS MOAR!

I shall try to find an enticing site along Babyseize; and if luck will have it, Lovearmors will breath again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2011, 12:45:08 am »

@Eric: I agree, there's something satisfying about having a huge (and FULL) catacombs in your fort. It makes it feel like there was a real dwarven price paid for the achievements of the inhabitants. Besides, having a big crypt/catacomb is just cool, and they're some of the funnest parts of fortresses to design.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 01:19:58 am »

Have started a new fortress along a warm vertical stretch of Babyseize, with the Fortress Defense mod in place. Have been sieged twice, the first time by elves of all things. I have no defenses or military save one thing: the unfinished, 10-tile wide marble block bridge which has its western end (the side my caravan landed on) build right into the dammed face of a minor river that falls 15-zlevels into Babyseize. The plan is to have invaders attempt to enter my hanging marble fortress only to be washed away by the smaller river, their bodies falling down to be broken on grates leading to an outflow into the major river.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
Pages: 1 2 [3]