Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Access to water, in the winter?  (Read 433 times)

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
Access to water, in the winter?
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:13:16 pm »

As I gather is quite common, water is confusing to me (being new to this her game).

But most importantly, I need to ascertain how I might go about gaining access to water in the winter.

My first fortress, on the verge of starting to become somewhat successful, died out because the big freeze happened to coincide with the depletion of my booze stocks- And I could not figure how to gain access to unfrozen water for my ill-fated growing colony. :(

Help?
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Access to water, in the winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:24:21 pm »

Dig down. You are almost certain to hit a cavern that has water in it, which can be drunk from with (relatively) no ill effects. It will generate a bad thought in dwarves and increase chances of infection in hospital cleanings, but thats a small price to pay compared to the death of your fortress.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:45:58 pm »

useful noted, and will be applied. and long-term way to get access to fresh water in winter times?
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:49:04 pm »

You'll want to build a reservoir. Horizontal size is up to you, but you want it to be at least two Z-levels deep. Feed water into the reservoir from either a nearby river or from the underwater lake, and then channel a hole over it and build a well there.

Remember that water only freezes if it's open to the sky.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:16:44 am »

If you have surface water, then the easiest solution is probably to dig out a room underground, then open it up to the river. So long as the room is never exposed to the sunlight, all the water that flows in won't freeze during the winter. If you don't make it big enough, it can run out, since dwarves drink and fill buckets with 1/7 water. Not sure if you can get fish this way.

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 04:56:22 am »

You'll want to build a reservoir. Horizontal size is up to you, but you want it to be at least two Z-levels deep. Feed water into the reservoir from either a nearby river or from the underwater lake, and then channel a hole over it and build a well there.

Remember that water only freezes if it's open to the sky.

Why 2 Z-levels deep, if I might ask? (I assume you mean the reservoir itself there - the actual part containing water? Or did you mean one level for the water, one for the well, as a minimum?) If you mean for the water, I've been doing it wrong - always had a single z-level water source with the well (or occasionally multiple wells on multiple fortress leves) above...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 06:19:42 am »

Two z-levels for the water, since that's supposed to be necessary to keep it from becoming stagnant.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 06:28:29 am »

If you have surface water, then the easiest solution is probably to dig out a room underground, then open it up to the river. So long as the room is never exposed to the sunlight, all the water that flows in won't freeze during the winter. If you don't make it big enough, it can run out, since dwarves drink and fill buckets with 1/7 water. Not sure if you can get fish this way.

You can get fish in any water source, but underground fishing is bugged so that the fishermen never catch anything and never stop fishing.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy