Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water source - acting weird  (Read 347 times)

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water source - acting weird
« on: November 04, 2011, 02:17:09 am »

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but my dwarves just won't fill a bucket from a pool dug out over an aquifer.

I read that they don't like to take from ramps, so I built a floor partway out over a large pool. No effect.

I read that the water source area has to include adjacent tiles. So, I made it bigger. I went down and tried it on the level below too. No effect.

Can't use well. No stone, no mechanisms, on top of aquifer.

You know... I think this worked before. Really I did. Have I missed something?
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Water source - acting weird
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:18:29 am »

Are there other water sources outside? Have you designed a zone for it and tell the dwarves to only collect water from designated zones?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:21:54 am by Qinetix »
Desu

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:37:32 am »

Is your site near the ocean?  Aquifers near the ocean can be salty, and therefore unusable as a water source without a well or desalination system.  You can however build a desalination system completely out of wood if you need to.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »

Is your site near the ocean?  Aquifers near the ocean can be salty, and therefore unusable as a water source without a well or desalination system.  You can however build a desalination system completely out of wood if you need to.

That could have been it, but I wouldn't have expected salt to have affected their ability to fill a bucket and dump it somewhere else to help me get through the aquifer (tundra biome). I also began to notice other strange issues with dwarfy behavior like engineers sitting idle forever instead of building mechanisms (thought to bring stone for them) or medical dwarves not picking up wounded dwarves while craftsdwarves still made barrels and farmers kept farming. Strange stuff. I must have screwed up their ability to do things in general.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.