Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rainbow 6 Patriots, Concept  (Read 1091 times)

Toriad

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Silence
    • View Profile
Rainbow 6 Patriots, Concept
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:30:51 am »

Concept video of what the new Rainbow Six will be like

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/target-gameplay-rainbow-6/723622

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots, Concept
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:19:05 pm »

In short: New Rainbow Six revolutionises the FPS genre by removing the need for spatial awareness in gameplay.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:42:47 pm »

They turned one of the best fps simulations into an action fps? Considering the last rainbow6 i played was raven shield, this looks nothing like it, cover system ala Gears of War, Xray vision, instant recognition of targets, action movie inverse rapell, what its happening to the world, what have we done god!?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:59:12 pm »

I'm also going to judge the game based on a year old concept video.

Part of me likes it, part of me thinks they're being topical in a shallow "Let's invoke 9/11 memories" sort of way, but for the current problems instead.  We'll have to see what it looks like when we have some actual gameplay footage
Shoes...

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:47:59 pm »

The gameplay reminds me a lot of Rainbow 6: Vegas. The symbols over enemy heads is a little weird, though it seems Tom Clancy games, at least the ones I've played, have the players using cutting-edge/futuristic military technologies, so the protagonist having an augmented reality HUD fits (though it'll make it hard for enemies to surprise the player).

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 09:54:23 pm »

Considering they're on a well-observed bridge, the HUD probably has access to a hell of a lot of input that might not be as available in, say, a private residence or a more rural area. I'd imagine that the surprises will come when the player has to raid a safehouse or front and there's no camera feeds or motion sensors to tap into.
Nothing important here, move along.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 10:47:33 pm »

The seeing through walls and stuff is probably just to improve the player's awareness, seeing as playing a shooter is like wearing blinders with no sound triangulation.
Shoes...

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 11:05:57 pm »

Sound triangulation i think its quite posible to do, just with sound. As i said, the last R6 i played was raven shield, and u had no help of any kind, in the current state theres no space for any tactic, its the classic thing games do: you are going to fight against impossible odds, so we will give you every tool you need so anyone can succed. I mean its not a bad recepee, its not what im wating from a saga i considered a simulation.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 05:20:10 am »

Looks totally boring. Yet another cutscene shooter with regenerating health.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 06:10:02 am »

Looks totally boring. Yet another cutscene shooter with regenerating health.
this
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 10:13:14 am »

God dammit, guys. There is a watermark in the bottom right corner the whole time. Know what it says?

THIS IS NOT GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE.

You're all judging a game, that is not due to come out for another 2 years, on some concept work from a year ago.

(Except Cthulhu, Cthulhu has brains.)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 10:16:53 am »

God dammit, guys. There is a watermark in the bottom right corner the whole time. Know what it says?

THIS IS NOT GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE.

You're all judging a game, that is not due to come out for another 2 years, on some concept work from a year ago.

(Except Cthulhu, Cthulhu has brains.)

So, let's say I'm going to open a restaurant. I make a 'concept drawing' of my signature dish a few years before my restaurant opens... and I draw a pile of poop on a plate. Would you be looking forward to it since that's only a concept or would you say 'wow, that looks like crap!'

A concept is important since it embodies the optimal goal with the information you have available. If you don't like the concept, you PROBABLY won't like the game unless they veer significantly from the concept.