Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Big thanks and some questions from a newcomer  (Read 2670 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Big thanks and some questions from a newcomer
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 05:31:01 am »

Wait i suppose i should just craft some barrels! Lmao duh, not like i'm short on wood.

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 05:31:13 am »

I spam rock pots like my life depends on it, any excess pots will overflow into your general stockpile if unused but really you can't have too many of them.

Rock pots = rock barrels
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 08:08:41 am »

I was wondering if I can get in on this, because I don't want to start another "please help a noob" threads. My question is how do I get my screen to stop zooming to each cavern collapse and how to get it to stop pausing at each one.

EDIT: figured it out.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:25:09 am by Torrasque666 »
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 08:46:45 am »

Everyone's advice has kept my very first fortress running thus far! I know im gonna be toast when my first siege arrives, if i last that long, but i've learned a ton.

I was able to provide for my first dwarf who fell into a strange mood, and got a legendary stone craftsdwarf out of it, but the second dwarf to fall into a strange mood needs a leather works i believe, since that is his highest skill that has a specific workshop. He has not claimed a craftsdwarf workshop, he's just chilling in the meeting area, so i figure he wants the leather works. The problem is i don't have a leather works, or any leather.

Can i just assign him a war dog so that when he goes insane he will be devoured and not do anyone any harm? He just arrived with a new migrant wave, he fell into the strange mood before he was even through my fortress entrance. I figure no dwarves will care about his death.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 08:50:45 am »

You can go to any dwarf and enable the leatherworking skill on them, and have them build a leather workshop.  Then butcher a war dog or some other animal and tan their skin for leather.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 09:51:29 am »

Thanks, trying that out now.

My war dogs keep breeding, is this a constant renewable source of dogs to be trained for fortress defense?

Do dogs eat or drink my stores?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 11:11:48 am »

Any tips on building turrets at my entrance for marksdwarves to fire from?
My advice? Make them 1x1 in size so you are absolutely certain the marksdwarves are standing right next to fortifications. Otherwise they can't shoot through them (until they are very skilled) and telling soldiers to "move here" merely means "move to somewhere in this vicinity". Therefore by making "this vicinity" be a 1x1 space and everywhere else as inaccessible (i.e. empty space beyond your fortifications on that z-level), you can be sure your marksdwarves are in the right position.

Oh also, check they have quivers and for your own sanity, don't assign separate training vs combat bolts as there's a bug which can be overcome but that's a complication beginners shouldn't have to deal with.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:47 am »

Any tips on building turrets at my entrance for marksdwarves to fire from?
My advice? Make them 1x1 in size so you are absolutely certain the marksdwarves are standing right next to fortifications. Otherwise they can't shoot through them (until they are very skilled) and telling soldiers to "move here" merely means "move to somewhere in this vicinity". Therefore by making "this vicinity" be a 1x1 space and everywhere else as inaccessible (i.e. empty space beyond your fortifications on that z-level), you can be sure your marksdwarves are in the right position.

Oh also, check they have quivers and for your own sanity, don't assign separate training vs combat bolts as there's a bug which can be overcome but that's a complication beginners shouldn't have to deal with.
This "standing right next to the fortifications" has given me some problems, too. I tried with 1-tile-wide corridors with mixed results. Fortifications does not prevent your marksmen from being hit. Many enemy archers are likely to hurt you.

As for the dogs pastured outside: Don't rely on them, but they might buy you valuable time to muster your troops. I had an entrance area in the soil level once, with garbage, farm plots, food industry and pens for animals. There was two birds - a hawk or some other bird of prey - that attacked the two trolls that got through my mal-functioning parcours of death. My troops were engaged elsewhere in the fortress (Giant beast creeping up from the cavern layer via the well). 1 bird dead, 1 crippled but they crippled 1 troll in their first attack. The militia could rush in and finish them. Very entertaining.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 12:17:06 pm »

Couldn't get my dorf his leather in time, he went insane from being unable to complete his artifact idea.

He has gone stark raving mad and is now just standing in my meeting area. Is he a detriment to the fortress like this? Do others care he has gone insane and will likely die? I'm pretty sure he has no friends since he was stricken with his strange mood before he even got to the fortress entrance.

Once he dies, will a dwarf haul his carcass to the refuse heap? Or do i have to bury him in some special way since he is a dorf?

Thanks again for all the advice all

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 12:27:10 pm »

Refuse pile doesn't work for a dwarf corpse. You're looking for a graveyard pile if you want that corpse hauled to a pile. Mind, there are better burial arrangements than dumping the body somewhere random: look into rock coffins if you don't care about the dwarf or metal sarcophagi if you do (or glass coffins if you feel morbid).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2]