Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feeling empty. Somewhat rantish  (Read 936 times)

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
Feeling empty. Somewhat rantish
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:40:38 am »

I made a topic here a while back about my home life, and how basically I was in a shitty situation.  It's improved somewhat, thankfully, but now instead of the frustration and stress I felt then (which still comes around quite a bit) I feel...nothing.  I feel a bit of happiness every now and then if I'm talking to a friend or something, or like earlier when I found I might have a job come tomorrow/Tuesday, but there are these huge stretches where I just feel nothing.

I want to get out of this rut.  I'm moving out of this place in January, and I want to get a hold of my life and move forward.  I don't know how to do that though or get rid of this empty feeling in me.  Does anyone know what I can do?
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling empty. Somewhat rantish
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:44:20 am »

1. Find a hobby/belief system/political topic to rant upon/an enjoyable trade/a musical instrument you want to learn.
2. Substitute for soul.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:09:14 am »

Two pieces of advice.

One. I deal with this with a large amount of drugs.
Two. I think it is pretty late at night so my advice is going to be sub par.
Three. See a Therapist.

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 06:56:54 am »

Do you have a hobby? If not, you should start exercising! You can spend endless time chatting about it, improve your life and get the ladies!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 10:47:18 am »

Find a hobby that you can enjoy, and once you have done that, focus on enhancing yourself in that aspect. If you're feeling nothing, like you feel you have no purpose, think about what your goals should be. Should it be finding a Girlfriend or something completely different, it's up to you.

Just remember that you need a goal, and then some motivation, to stop feeling like that.

But just to be sure, contact a Therapist.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 10:56:18 am »

Whatever you do, put your heart into it.

A lot of times we tend to get this disconnect between what we feel and what we think. Sometimes we're trying to protect ourselves from uncomfortable thoughts of what we feel about what's going on in our heads, or we don't like thinking about what we're feeling. (Or both.)

So, put yourself into what you do, emotionally and mentally, and see what happens. Other than that, exercise and hobbies can help focus your energy into something you enjoy.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 05:48:28 pm »

First become whole (-ish), then try to get into dating.  I seriously learned this the hard way.

Just look at what you have around you, and attend to it.  If you have spare time, read a book, watch a movie, see a play, something.  And slowly find yourself a community.  Not "going off to get a community because you want a community," just let it form around you as you slowly meet people and go out in the world.  And then, I think you'll be happy.  That's what worked for me, anyway, and a few years ago I would have thought it would be completely impossible to be anything different than I was.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

K41N

• Bay Watcher
  • only posts when bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 03:37:00 am »

What do you mean by becoming whole (-ish)?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 03:42:24 am »

I'm surprised Criptfiend did not suggest the Handstand test
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 07:15:45 am »

Feeling of depression can often be cured via the application of increased blood flow to the hypothalamus.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 12:39:47 pm »

What do you mean by becoming whole (-ish)?

If you think you're crazy and maladjusted, work your life out until you're at least reasonably stable and crazy and maladjusted.  No real surprises for you--all right, maybe you have a panic attack once in a while, but you're used to it.  Nothing new.  Then date.  Not before.

In other words, become friendly with your brain and its proclivities, and with your personality.  That's a very important first step.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".