Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So.... first try at fortress defence. woah  (Read 1907 times)

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
So.... first try at fortress defence. woah
« on: November 04, 2011, 03:06:32 pm »

So obviously I was expecting a bit more of a challenge than vanilla DF... but...

I coped with the first two sieges relatively ok, managed to get my metal industry up and running etc, was busy equipping and training my dwarves, then suddenly!

White Tigermen! The leader was riding a Crocodile though .... and it just went and sat in a pool the whole time. I decided to play safe and leave them alone, didn't want to bite off more than i could chew with my measly militia.

Next was a goblin siege. I coped ok I'd set up some basic defenses along with a long twisty path which eventually will be a catapult&ballista range. Gives my soldiers a bit more time to set up too :3

and then...

....oh hiiiii nightwing lashers. Nice to meet you. Unfortunately my dwarves do NOT feel the same.  :'( it's not pretty. I've killed maybe 5 of them, the leader was riding a moose(noble steed!???) which slowed them down a lot. but yeah nevertheless, just flew straight into my fort  :o

some goblins decided to join in the fun too... they were easy to kill though. are these nightwing incredibly fast?? my dwarves just got minced. even my best trained one, he'd got 13/14 kills so far as well :[

so now I will watch as my poor dwarflets get minced, pretty uncomfortable how fast they go through armed dwarves let alone unarmed o_o like a knife through butter!

So, anyone else got some cool(I know mine's not 'cool' ha) stories of their first Fortress Defense games to share?
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

OwlEpicurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So.... first try at fortress defence. woah
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:25:06 pm »

It's not my first experience with FD, but I had a pretty similar experience with my last fort.  My ~40 dwarf military rushed out of the fortress and easily took down a Jotunar siege.  I think they (the dwarves) didn't even have any armor at the time - I was in the process of swapping out their copper equipment for steel, so I gave them a new uniform of steel armor.  Unfortunately, I was still lacking quite a few items, so most of them had no armor.

The giants were quickly followed by Nightwings, who did have steel equipment, and knew how to use it, too.  The game definitely has a sense of irony.  Moments before the siege hit I was contemplating the best way to engineer an unfortunate accident for my mayor, who had killed one of the starting 7 during a tantrum. 

And which dwarf was the last to die at the hands of the Nightwings?  The mayor, of course.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:36:55 pm »

Crazily, the nightwing's just made it inside my fortress, and then decided that was enough and just flew out...  straight after I just posted of my demise !

Almost finished clearing up, and now I have some stranglers >.< with 1 marksdwarf, who has barely even picked up a crossbow -_- so lets see how this goes...

Also it sounds like your mayor made a deal with them, and then obviously he didn't deliver what they wanted in return, so they slew him for cheating them out of it!

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 03:47:57 pm »

My first try was no too good either.
After fending off few first tigermen/stranglers sieges, and getting population over 90 tigermen came again. Followed in just a day or two by nagas and another tigermen siege. I had over 220+ of total siegers on the map. Fortunately, knowing the nature of the mod I prepared drawbridge to cut off access to fortress' courtyard. After that sieges just changed, some fought others, but there always had been at least two simultaneous sieges. Using drawbridge I managed to continue training militia letting few enemies at at time into fortress and smashing some others in process. When I thought I was ready to fight off these constant sieges, nightwings came. I had iron - they had steel, I had about 30 warriors, some with wounds or without limbs, they came in a few squads and casually flew over the walls. Manged to get about 10 of them with my militia though, and few more by arming the rest with any leftover weapons and crossbows.
Now I cover outside areas with roof, other then training barracks, that I keep outside and close to entrance.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »

*Something went wrong with this message*
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:55:45 pm by Diamond »

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 04:39:38 pm »

So are nightwings the "worst" civ to deal with in fortress defense?

My single marksdwarf that started with 0 skill, has seemingly managed to scare off 2 squads of stranglers... O.o

and... omg over 220? huuuoooh. better start preparing... think i'm gonna put a few traps down as well now!

as I typed this I now have 3 sieges. Stranglers, mounted Ferric elves and now frog men! eeek!

edit:

make that 4, tigermen now. AHH 4?!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:41:13 pm by lemmily »

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:58:18 pm »

That's a lot of 'em. Do you have any races that are in war with others ? It is quite fun to watch them kill each other.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 05:18:51 pm »

That's a lot of 'em. Do you have any races that are in war with others ? It is quite fun to watch them kill each other.

Only normal Elves and frogmen are at war it seems, it would be very helpful if others were too! The war elephant/giant leopard riding tigermen seem to have got past the defenses... lets see how long decimation takes... the rest seem to have run off at least!

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 06:45:19 pm »

FD is great.  Just got slaughtered - weathered a combined orc [the Rysith kind], ogre, and strangler siege - the stranglers threw themselves into my traps and managed to jam all of them and my military barely managed to run them off, with two survivors total.  Actually had a decent come-back, had about thirteen dwarves and the beginnings of a new military when a new wave came in - stranglers and goblins together.  Traps were still clogged up and my industry was tied up burying the thirty or so deaths from the last siege, so that was that for that fort.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 07:02:24 pm »

My fort got over run by a siege of tigerman that turned up just after the last mentioned siege. I had hope! but then they smeared it around on the floor.  My second to last dwarf was one of my militia in the hospital, surrounded by about 6 tigermen with failed attempts to stab his head/body/anything, but then the friendly elephant came over and he got gored in the head  .... nasty!

My last dwarf was my legendary miner, he managed to put up a fight but then there was about 20 chasing him, so inevitable death... :/ he managed to take a good few though!

hmm. I doubt it's possible to reclaim the fort. SO many enemies. so many!!

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 08:46:42 pm »

I reclaimed!

But aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall of the war elephants are now giving birth, nearly all had twins O.o apparently standard elephant behaviour... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that as soon as the first siege arrives they don't all get angry at me, there's a LOT of units, maybe like 30+ :S

Also I <3 autodump, it nutures my OCD tendencies :3

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 10:13:12 pm »

I have used Fortress Defense for a while, but none of my forts got more advanced enemies that putrid blendecs and hellfire imps. (This make my kind of sad because I never got a chance to test my anti-nightwing spike systems.) Was it probably a population thing or a wealth thing or both?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 10:29:59 pm »

I have used Fortress Defense for a while, but none of my forts got more advanced enemies that putrid blendecs and hellfire imps. (This make my kind of sad because I never got a chance to test my anti-nightwing spike systems.) Was it probably a population thing or a wealth thing or both?

Could have been a gen thing. The populations might die out, try setting the history lower.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:59 pm »

Could have been a gen thing. The populations might die out, try setting the history lower.
I usually have fairly short histories, and the civs were still listed on the civ list (though sometimes they only had a few sites which were sort of far away.)
Soaplent green is goblins!