Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: something like simutrans but...  (Read 2316 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
something like simutrans but...
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:40:06 pm »

ok, I like a lot the building part of simutrans, but I find the economy extremely gamey, which spoils it a fair bit.

the thing I hate most is that goods doesn't have a production and sell price, instead price depends on the good type (fair), the time of travel (fair as it applies only where it makes sense) and the distance traveled which is my gripe, it doesn't make any sense that the farther it travel the more you gain.

it should model the fact that you demand a higher price for long ferries, but totally screw the advantages that one have in taking the goods from the shorter route.

industry giant had a better economy, with shops that modeled demand and quantities and large scale sales and such, but I've played the first inside out and the second won't work on any modern pc.

any suggestion?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: something like simutrans but...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 01:50:39 pm »

OpenTTD has an extremely simple economy, but you'd probably end up hating it just as much, especially since it's so easy it gets boring after a while.
Nothing important here, move along.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 03:02:12 am »

The you want Railroad Tycoon 3!
it has the kind of prices you are looking for. prices on all goods differs on the map, acording to supply and demand, and you make monye by moving goods from red areas to green areas, where you can build and develop industry and so on.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 03:08:59 am »

OpenTTD has an extremely simple economy, but you'd probably end up hating it just as much, especially since it's so easy it gets boring after a while.
In OpenTTD economy is interesting only during first 2 months, later you may try to make
  • realistic railways (try newgrfs)
  • efficient railways (openttdcoop - image search)
  • play multiplayer - you still earn ridiculous amount of money, but now goal is to earn more than opponents
  • play goal multiplayer (especially city building - you must supply water, food, goods etc to your city)
  • try to create AI (my goal, really interesting)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 03:15:20 am »

The you want Railroad Tycoon 3!
it has the kind of prices you are looking for. prices on all goods differs on the map, acording to supply and demand, and you make monye by moving goods from red areas to green areas, where you can build and develop industry and so on.

I've played it a lot, with expansions too! The economy part is awesome, but I've found it lacking in track building and logistic. For example, magic wagon spawns from nowhere at each station, or trains just became invisible when overlapping, one platform can serve all and long transfer with train changes require no magazine or storage area, stuff just accumulates at the city.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:47:03 am »

So you want Transport Tycoon (simutrans is the OSS remake/sequel, right?) building with Railroad Tycoon 3 economy.

If you find it, don't tell me, as I might not see my family ever again ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:51:39 am »

Simutrans is better than Ottd in almost every way.