Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FPS for a well developed fort  (Read 2125 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: FPS for a well developed fort
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 05:00:19 pm »

I've got 2.0Ghz dual core processor and 4GB of ram... so I can't imagine why it's so slow.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 05:21:44 pm »

I have a 3.0GHz dual core, and I'm afraid of trying something bigger than 4x4.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 05:47:38 pm »

I currently have 214 Dwarves and 15 animals all running around my fort merrily with a constant FPS of 100. The only time it dips below is when I mass dump 1000 pieces of stone or something. My personal trick is to create a nudist colony, dumping all the clothing into the magma sea. I have thousands of different types of items and a running river. The only thing is that I turned off Temperature and Weather. Temperature does little in terms of gameplay for my current fort and drops my FPS about 40-50 FPS when I breach the magma sea.

This may be a stupid question, but how do you get them to take their clothes off in the first place?
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 05:52:04 pm »

There's a dfhack tool that removes all ownership tags, allowing you to mark their worn items for dumping.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 05:53:05 pm »

Ah, thanks.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 07:29:14 pm »

On my five year old computer, running a 4x5 map with 140-170 living creatures and constant 80+ enemy sieges due to the Fortress Defense Mod, I got 45-50 fps; this was at the cost of weather, temperature, any fluid movement other than the underground river, new construction or digging, and the need for constant destruction of items via atom-smashing.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 09:35:12 pm »

Clothes have that much of an impact? I'd always assumed it was the preponderance of stones.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 05:48:19 am »

The first thing I do when I hit magma is channel out two squares over it with two floors adjacent. I designate all four squares as a single garbage zone, and designate all the unwanted articles of clothing for dumping using the stocks menu. After that, I switch to handy-dandy dfhack, type in cleanowned all, and my Dwarves get to work! Just a warning that this is hugely time consuming, albeit one-time activity.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 06:09:30 am »

Clothes have that much of an impact? I'd always assumed it was the preponderance of stones.

both of them, for different reason. stones adds up to temperature and stuff, so you can atom smash them or turn off temperature.

on my pc, I've found that changing all the clothes tag from SOFT to HARD prevented late game fps death (but you have to regen world)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 07:05:36 am »

4x4 embark, 128 ponies, 374 animals, all caverns breached and walled off, temperature and weather on, 5 FPS(more if I shut off Firefox). Oddly enough, I like the way Dorf Fort essentially slows down to accommodate the exponential increase in things to keep track of as the fort sizes up.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 11:34:30 am »

4x4 is all the bigger you go?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 12:17:30 pm »

Maps are deeper than they used to be and increasing the embark area won't give you more mineral variety by itself. You need to add a new biome to the embark for that, and sometimes you have to go a long way to add a biome. 4x4 is enough to straddle a couple of biomes and get enough to work with in each one, and has fewer than half the tiles of the default 6x6. 3x3 is nice if you can get what you want into those nine tiles.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]