Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My animals are fighting  (Read 1175 times)

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
My animals are fighting
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:53:27 pm »

It seems my animals will have random short-lived altercations.   Usually no harm is done... occasionally a bruise. Not a big deal, but it does spam up my reports screen.   Anyone know why it might be happening?  It's possible I'm missing something obvious... I spent about a year away from DF and I'm just getting back into it now.
Check out my Dwarf Fortress tutorial series on Youtube.

dag71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My animals are fighting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:06:00 pm »

As far as I know it has to do with the amount of pasture space they have and whether or not they can get grass, if it becomes a problem, just assign a larger pasture elsewhere or assign animals to different pastures.

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:36:34 pm »

Oh, I see. That would make sense.
Check out my Dwarf Fortress tutorial series on Youtube.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:37:33 pm »

It always seems to happen to me no matter how big the pasture is.

The solution: slaughter everything.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 09:39:37 pm »

I find small animals work better if you don't want to use huge enclosures. Currently building a mass army of cavy boars/sows to then trap in a room with a goblin. See if they can actually manage to over power it, currently looks something like 30 so far.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 09:52:02 pm »

Cavies are Guinea Pigs.  I salute your endeavor of mismatched violence.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 09:56:58 pm »

I find small animals work better if you don't want to use huge enclosures. Currently building a mass army of cavy boars/sows to then trap in a room with a goblin. See if they can actually manage to over power it, currently looks something like 30 so far.

Have you heard of the object testing arena? 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:13:47 am »

Why would you use the arena when building a massive army to trap in a room is so dorfy?

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 01:16:51 am »

I have my animals only start fighting when there is very little grass left in their pasture. They start kicking each other and not just doing bruising damages not really doing any permanent damages. I find a gobrin ambush far worse for animals...

But way I solved it is to kill off all the heavy grazers who were raping the ground of all the grass.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 01:38:23 am »

When they eat all the grass, they all quickly run to try and eat any available square, naturally funneling them into the few remaining grass tiles and causing "too close"-ness.  They're not fighting because they're hungry, it's just that the one causes the other by extension.  Starving goats in my dining hall will quite happily keel over on the table, never touching a soul.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 01:18:01 pm »

Why would you use the arena when building a massive army to trap in a room is so dorfy?

I can think of a few reasons, but mostly that it would make a very long task very, very short.  You could use the time you save building a magma pump-stack.