Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trapping question  (Read 504 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
trapping question
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:39:15 pm »

how the hell do i capture a fucking elephant.

P.S. tell me how to use animal traps
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: trapping question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48:03 pm »

What was wrong with the answers you got in the other thread you just posted with the same question?

Anyway, you capture elephants with cage traps, not animal traps.

Build cage traps.  Wait for elephants to step on them and be trapped.  Optionally, build walls to funnel the elephants across the traps and/or use your soldiers to chase the elephants over the traps.

You can then tame the elephants, and then watch them rapidly starve to death.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: trapping question
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:52:00 pm »

Animal traps are only used for catching vermin, with one of the Animal Caretaker skills (I think it's the trap small animal at the kennel job, but don't quote me on that one). Also it's a bit buggy in that you can't actually place a trap and bait it.

To catch an elephant, you'll need to construct cage traps. Create a wooden or metal cage (at the carpenter or forge, respectively) and a mechanism at the Engineering shop. Then have your engineer place the cage trap somewhere where the elephant will walk over it. Once the cage trap is loaded, you just need the elephant to path over it and voila, trapped elephant.

A few important notes - elephants, once tamed, will die of starvation due to a grazing issue. They literally cannot eat fast enough to sustain themselves in the current version. You can fix this by editing their browser tag in the raws. Also note that if an elephant has tasted dwarven blood he can never be fully domesticated. Taming a killer elephant will result in a 'tame' elephant that still hunts your dwarves for fun.