Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CPU fan needs immediate replacing  (Read 1122 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CPU fan needs immediate replacing
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:18:49 pm »

A couple of the mounting pegs for my CPU broke while reattaching it after cleaning. So, I need a replacement fan.

Thankfully, it seems that fans are dirt cheap(especially since I don't need anything fancy), but it I'm not sure what's compatable with a Core 2 Duo processor. Newegg only lists socket types, and I don't know one from the other.

This looks like it might be a good replacement, although I'm not sure if will work. It looks a bit tall, too, and space is a mild concern as well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CPU fan needs immediate replacing
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 01:56:38 am »

Had the same problem long ago with my Pentium 4.

it seems that fans are dirt cheap
No, they aren`t. I mean... The fan, which you are going to buy, is an almost exact copy of one I had in my PC like... 7 years ago. Modern fans usually are being mounted with something more reliable than pegs, and they have some copper heat-transfering pipes in the radiator, and so on. And they are more expensive and, usually, bigger.

I don't need anything fancy
Why? Sure, a cheap fan will cool your CPU enough for not reloading due to overheat. But when your CPU reaches 80-90 Celsius degrees, it begins to "throttle". Throttling actually means stopping itself from executing instructions with normal frequency, and it can (and will) decrease CPU speed dramatically. And a modern fan can keep the CPU temperature near 40 degrees.

I'm not sure what's compatable with a Core 2 Duo
Try finding some documents about your motherboard; a user manual from a box should be fine. Or try to search online. With 90% probability this is LGA 775 socket.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:37:00 am »

Since you said the pegs broke, I'm assuming you need a heatsink/fan unit.

This worked well for me and was one of the better aircooling HSFs at the time, but you will need to buy the backing plate that allows you to screw the HSF to the motherboard. That way you don't need to rely on pegs--this unit is very hard to install without the backing plate.

http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=16

This is compatible with LGA 775 socket CPUs.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:21:28 pm »

It can be fun to change heatsinks and fans, how'd ya make out so far? 

I'll share some of my thermal goo with ya.  A dab will do ya.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.