Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dev Tangent? What about DF?  (Read 792 times)

Kruor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dev Tangent? What about DF?
« on: October 23, 2011, 01:41:16 am »

First off: im a once-a-month lurker of the forums so im probably (and hopefully) missing something. Typically i will just read scan the dev posts on the main bay12 page and that satisfies me for a few more weeks. I honestly hope i am wrong about my assumptions below.

My problem is that recently all Toady seems to talk about is Necromancers and skeletons... Obviously this would have nothing to do with Fortress Mode and, as someone who only ever plays dwarves in Adventure Mode (when i bother playing it once a year) surely all this heretical talk of magic is irrelevent for many players [obviously since Dwarves are not magic users in 99% of all lore they appear in, so Toady would naturally not enable dwarfs to use magic].

So pages and pages of development notes relating to some new feature that is essentially nothing more than a fancy world gen slower and/or fancy new wiki page that will get read by the 10% max of player who play Adventure Mode: seems like a massive waste of time.

Is it just me or would this time have been better spent adding features or fixing the few bugs with Fortress Mode that most players prefer to play. I guess im just surprised that it seems like the much more interesting and fun Fortress Mode is getting apparently left behind. :/

Like i said, please point out what im missing. Im sure Toady wouldnt waste his time like this or focus on adding practically useless features.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:03:34 am by Kruor »

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Tangent? What about DF?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:43:17 am »

Necromancers will siege, as will the undead. The update also encompasses curses, interactions, towns, and city building framework, as well as new economic updates. Did you even read the dev posts?

Kruor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:52:08 am »

So the features will somehow interact with Fortress Mode? Ok, thats all i needed to know.

The dev posts arent exactly the most inviting things to read over. Half the time he seems to refer to [things in a particular world he is playing] and i dont have the time to review 30 pages of him recounting events that i can only gather are being read off Legends from world-gen events just to locate one sentence that indicates what he intends to DO with the things he talks about.

All this talk of Necromancer Towers and towns stinks of Adventure Mode to me. The logical conclusion i made was that this would not have a significant impact (if any) on Fortress Mode.

Even with your irritating sarcasm with that last question, im glad you clarified that for me. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:54:10 am by Kruor »

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 02:20:02 am »

Well, you complain of a tangent in development, when toady is doing framework building, but also adding in other features. Several posts indicated that there would be necromancers seiging, and so did several threads on the forums. I apologize for my sarcasm though, that was bloody harsh of me.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 03:17:09 am »

Well, you complain of a tangent in development, when toady is doing framework building, but also adding in other features. Several posts indicated that there would be necromancers seiging, and so did several threads on the forums. I apologize for my sarcasm though, that was bloody harsh of me.
Indeed it was. Anyway, now that this issue has been settled, don't you think it's a good idea to close the topic to prevent trolls(spammers and such) from swarming?
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 03:18:19 am »

Lock button's in the bottom left of the screen, if you didn't know.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!