Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chemistry Help  (Read 2126 times)

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Chemistry Help
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:13:52 pm »

So I've been working on this chemistry assignment, and I seem to have run into a roadblock.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Where am I going wrong?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Chemistry Help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:08 pm »

The last part, where you put oxygen and the organic compound in a container is actually very important. If you were to put CH3* and oxygen in a container, the first thing you have on your hand is a load of shrapnel, as CH3* is a radical and a pretty nasty one at that. You actually can't have isolated CH3* at moderate temperatures, you have to heat ethane (c2H6) up to fairly high temperatures to even get a bit of it to fracture into radicals (and you're going to get it mixed with other fun stuff such as H* and C2H5*, not to mention rubbish such as atomic carbon)

Now what you've actually got on your hands is an organic compound with the empirical formula CnH3n. Now, you can use the density you get when mixed with oxygen to obtain the molar weight and from that you can find the right compound.

Problem is the third question. Assuming we're really dealing with  CnH3n, a reaction with Br2 should either result in the breaking of a carbon-carbon bond, yielding two moles of an organic bromide, or you get Br2 -> 2 Br*, Br*+ CnH3n ->  CnH3n-1Br + H*, meaning you're going to get H2 and HBr as side products. From that I presume that you've made an error in calculating the molar ratios in your compound and you're actually dealing with an alkene, in which case you're getting addition of bromide across a double bond (which is actually a pretty awesome process if you look closer at it, see this), which would result in a single molecule.

Edit: wat? Huh? I can't find any errors in your calculation? That's odd. You may want to double check the figures with your teacher because you can't get ethane (the only compound with the formula CnH3n that isn't something nasty) to react with bromine and yield only 1 compound, you'd get pentavalent carbon atoms and stuff like that...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:44:53 pm by Virex »

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 05:42:08 am »

I wish I could say something helpful, but Virex pretty much covered everything. :(

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:36:08 pm »

I wish I could say something helpful, but Virex pretty much covered everything. :(

I saw this and thought I might be able to help but some of the material is stuff I haven't covered yet. Sorry.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »

One more nitpick: since Br2 boils (max pressure of 760 torr) at 59C and has vapor pressure of 76 torr at 3C I highly doubt that it could provide 745 torr at 26C in fully gaseous state. An ideal gas approximation for Br at room temperatures looks unwarranted.

Given the above, maybe CH3CH3+Br2->2CH3Br, while not the reaction that would happen in nature, is what is asked here? The reality had already been severely violated in the first question, can it get much worse? The pressure in the second question also supports that there is about 0.6 moles of substance with 1.2 moles of carbon in it.

Edit:oops, "one mole of a single product" went past me. Formally the molar ratio and not absolute quantities of A and B were mentioned. It could technically be "[0.5 moles of] A and [0.5 moles of] B react quantitatively in a 1:1 molar ratio to form one mole of the single product, gas X" but that is not the only problem with this assignment.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:35:48 pm by Another »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:42:11 pm »

I don't think they treat virial equations at their level though, so they probably use the ideal gas law to keeps things simple.

One more nitpick: since Br2 boils (max pressure of 760 torr) at 59C and has vapor pressure of 76 torr at 3C I highly doubt that it could provide 745 torr at 26C in fully gaseous state. An ideal gas approximation for Br at room temperatures looks unwarranted.

Given the above, maybe CH3CH3+Br2->2CH3Br, while not the reaction that would happen in nature, is what is asked here? The reality had already been severely violated in the first question, can it get much worse? The pressure in the second question also supports that there is about 0.6 moles of substance with 1.2 moles of carbon in it.
Given the right catalyst, the second reaction could potentially happen, but that would violate the description of the last question: "A and B react quantitatively in a 1:1 molar ratio to form one mole of the single product, gas X. Write a balanced equation to determine the formula of gas X." So we're looking for a reaction that has two inputs and 1 output, and Br2+C2H6 -> 2 CH3Br yields two molecules.

I suggest that we just pull these gasses through a GCMS and be done with it, who's with me?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:03:24 pm »

I have no idea what a GCMS is, so... go right ahead, I guess?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:08:24 pm »

GCMS = Gas Chromatograph with Mass Spectrometer. Basically a one-stop wonder for analyzing anything you can vaporise at moderate temperatures. (Well, typically you'll want to take an IR or NMR spectrum for cross reference, but if you've got a good idea what you may be dealing with a GCMS will usually give you the answer. Plus, it can handle mixtures)

Edit:oops, "one mole of a single product" went past me. Formally the molar ratio and not absolute quantities of A and B were mentioned. It could technically be "[0.5 moles of] A and [0.5 moles of] B react quantitatively in a 1:1 molar ratio to form one mole of the single product, gas X" but that is not the only problem with this assignment.
Seen that way it could work. It's a weird reaction for sure, but if you've got a catalyst that can weaken carbon-carbon single bonds, then you could get the bromine to preferentially attack the carbon-carbon bond.  (Wouldn't platinum be good for that? Car catalysts use platinum/palladium to burn unburnt fuel, but palladium is only really useful for oxidizing carbon monoxide and adsorbing oxygen so I assume the platinum binds the alkanes)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:26:34 pm by Virex »

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:26:09 pm »

I'd say that when the assignments seem to be geared towards learning how to use the ideal gas law (or whatever you call it, PV=nRT) and work around with pressures, breaking carbon-carbon bonds with platinum catalysts is pretty far-fetched.

That said, here's where our instructors would, instead of using methyl and bromine, use imaginary substances A and B, and their reaction to form C.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 02:28:20 pm »

Meh, it doesn't really matter for his situation anyway, he just has to figure out the right compound, not make it on an industrial scale (In which case I'd look at using methyl alcohol as a stock instead of ethane anyway...)