Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Succession Game - Unitebolted  (Read 2700 times)

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
Re: Succession Game - Unitebolted
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 04:09:15 pm »

I'll be the warrior if you need one. If not I would like to farm/process food products/cook.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 05:02:02 pm »

If aussie stops posting, you should totally pass it on to me.

EDIT: Because the dungeon master is bugged, can I mod it to allow exotics to be tame/trained? There's nothing more fitting a glacier than a polar bear army and you know it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:05:22 pm by Shark »
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 05:09:32 pm »

If aussie stops posting, you should totally pass it on to me.

EDIT: Because the dungeon master is bugged, can I mod it to allow exotics to be tame/trained? There's nothing more fitting a glacier than a polar bear army and you know it.
I'm giving him until tomorrow to finish his year. I mean a year doesn't take that much time to do. Less to write it up IF he goes along. Which it seems like he isn't.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 05:38:13 pm »

I'm sorry, I can't do the first year. All my attempts at breaking the aquifer just end up in frustration. Put me at the end of the turn list, please.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 06:45:38 pm »

Who knows how to drain an aquifer and survive in the most horrid conditions?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 06:54:07 pm »

Let's just say my last attempt ended in a minersicle and a surface fort...

I'm game!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 12:06:21 am »

I'll do first year if anyone wants?

EDIT: Yeah nevermind, this biome is virtually impossible to survive, and the starting supplies simply add insult to injury.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 03:25:57 am by dwarf -lover- »

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 05:46:21 am »

I started a new, more in depth, easier succession game if you folks are interested. It's got more of a backstory and a mission too.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 08:01:19 pm »

I have been entrusted with the future, fortune, and safety of this fortress for the first year. Here s the first update, lasting about two months.

-----
Unitebolted-A Tale of Toil and Recklessness

Journal of Vabok “GreatWyrmGold” Chantdike

Galena 17, 248
Today I join a caravan. I'm just supposed to lead the animal, shut up during trading, and help gather food during the long traveling days, but it's better than this tanner's guild position I had. Especially because I just discovered that there actually isn't a tanner's guild...

-----

Malachite 7, 249
I have joined a new caravan. It is much larger and fancier than the last. I even get to sleep in a wagon! I now mostly help load the wagon, but also trade some.

-----

Timber 20, 249
Goblnattakcantw ritenow

Timber 21, 249
There are about a dozen survivors, mostly junior members like myself. There's also a few wagons and a dozen or so pack animals.

-----

Slate 2, 250
We met up with a couple of miners, a mason, and several farmers from a hill-dwarf community that got destroyed by those same goblins. While it will mean increasing our party's numers from 6 to 17, it will be worth it due to their additional support and supplies.

-----

Obsidian 24, 250
Goblins haven't attacked for a few months, so we decided to settle down in the most hospitable area we can find. We're down to eight dwarves and two wagons.

Obsidian 27, 250
Some moving corpses attacked us and killed the last experienced trader, also a warrior. We had to abandon a wagon but saved the pack animals.

Granite 1, 251
Hell with it. We're running low on supplies and zombies are roaming the land, we need to settle down to get food production and protection from the monsters.
After a brief meeting, I am elected leader as I am the most senior member of  the caravan to have survived, and neither of the miners (the only hill-dwarf refugees to have survived) seems interested. Although all seem nervous...

Let us strike the earth.

Work been divided up.
-The miners are mining. Obviously. If we survive long enough, one or both might be repurposed to other assignments. Maybe mining.
-Deduk Shotlances, a tough lady who never seems to let anything get her down, has been chosen to guard the fortress for now, and has been entrusted with one of our axes. She will also work wood if we find any, ever.
-Sigun Rimbound, due to his friendly and helpful disposition, has been chosen to be our chief medical dwarf. In order to learn more about anaomy, he will also be our butcher.
-I will volunteer to be the tanner of this fortress. I do have experience, after all. I will also be a mason. How hard can it be?
-Kib Cloisterscar, a flimsy woman, will be our farmer. She'll also cut wood if we live that long.
-Kivish, a friendly (if with disturbing preferences--a type of stone called “slade,” cages, and catapult parts...) person with a good mind but clumsy body, has been chosen to be a mechanic and siege engineer if, once again, we live that long).

I also choose a spot to start digging. And, since we lack any kind of grass to feed them with, all of our pack animals (a bull, two cows, and two stallions) have been set for butchery.
A food stockpile has been set up by the future entrance; the meat, fish, and alcohol we have is currently being hauled there. Also, some zombie muskox have been sighted to the west. With no defenses or natural barriers, we had best hope that they decide not to wander near us...and that if they do, Shotlances will take care of them.
The wagon has been dismantled, and will be turned into instruments of processing our poor pack animals into useable products.

Granite 2, 251
One of the cows was butchered. Since the initial stockpile was too small even to hold our barrelled food, another was set up.
Oh, and the zombie-muskox count is five.

Granite 3, 251
Another cow struck down to provide meat for the fortress. I hope that we live long enough to enjoy the bounty, and that we have enough space to store it all.

Granite 4, 251
It probably won't be, not without barrels, so I choose another large area to serve as stockpiles for food.
Also, the bull was butchered...and I'm still working on the first cow's hide! Slow down!   

Granite 5, 251
And now a stallion...and the other...okay, I'm going to conscript Kib into this tanning stuff.

Granite 6, 251
Some damp peat was noted. The miners refused to dig it, and I allowed this absurdity. Wet isn't anything to worry about, but what the hell, it's not a big deal.
[And yes, I know that it's the aquifer...]
Oh, again? And again? And again? And a-wait, it's dry? Good, back to work.
Since Shotlances has nothing to do, what with the muskoxen still on the distant horizon, she's also being conscripted into tanning.

Granite 7, 251
MORE damp soil? I don't want any more complaints unless water starts gushing out of the walls!

...Huh. Apparently water came out of the walls. I had to trust the miners' report because when I finally finished tanning the horse skin and could check, the bottom section of tunnels was flooded.
Well, we'll survive without any alcohol...Unfortunately, we'll never survive if we can't reach the caverns and harvest some good plants, so as to obtain a supply of food when our meat runs...hello, we have plump helmets? Good, I was afraid we had nothing. I choose a spot for the miners to dig out a farm plot.

Granite 12, 251
A fierce blizzard broke out.
The muskox are slowly approaching...this first tanned skin shall be Shotlances's last.

Granite 13, 251
The farm area has been dug out.

Granite 15, 251
I finish the first leather of the fortress!

Granite 20, 251
The blizzard stopped.

Granite 22, 251
Alright, those muskoxen are close enough! Shotlances, attack!
Armok, I hope this ends well...Erm, why is Shotlances just standing there? Hell with it.

Granite 27, 251
The blizzard whips up again.

Slate 1, 251
The aquifer-piercer is almost ready...And it works! A section of snowy ground collapses onto another, triggerring a sudden mass-freezing of the water at the bottom of the pit! Remarkably, despite the close proximity of the miners to the collapse and the presence of supplies in the pit, noone was harmed or even touched notably by the cave-in!
...Except for Unib Wheelprincess, the female miner, who was knocked out in the cave-in and dropped several feet onto thankfully-solid ice, and Zasit Laboredgleams, the male miner who was also knocked onto the ice but not harmed at all.
There were some incompletely-iced sections, but after making a bucket and dragging some water to the pits it should be better. And building some ice stairs for the holes in the bottom layer, we'll have pierced the aquifer...I hope.
[If this works, it'll be the first time I've ever pierced an aquifer! Go me!]

Slate 3, 251
The blizzard cleared up.

Slate 4, 251
Three of the muskox left. I wonder why...

Slate 8, 251
The blizzard started up again.

Slate 14, 251
After trying to get staircases under our current ice shelf, I decided to start preparing a backup plan...I think I have it.

Slate 17, 251
Due to a bit of a misunderstanding and/or stupidity, Wheelprincess was encased in ice. This made Laboredgleams and Cloisterscar sad. However, Laboredgleams dug out her skeleton fast enough, so nothing horrible overall.

Slate 20, 251
The fillng-in of the ice-gaps is complete. Soon, unless there is yet another layer of aquifer beneath this one, we will be able to reach the caverns and, just as importantly, sweet sweet stone.

Slate 22, 251

...Have I mentioned “Fuck!” yet?
Well, I'm making up a plan to freeze at least part of it...which SHOULD allow us to reach stone and stuff.
[BTW, has anyone attempted to see how deep this #%$& aquifer is?]

-----

Aright, if anyone hates the storyline as of now, let me know so I can tell you that you can change it on your turn, thank-you-very-much, as long as you don't contradict previous players' canon.
Also, can I be dorfed as one of the miners?  Give me the name of 'Gizogin XI,' but don't give me a custom profession, 'cause I won't be able to erase it on my turn (stupid mac delete button doesn't work with DF nicknaming).
Dwarfed.
I'll be the warrior if you need one. If not I would like to farm/process food products/cook.
Nickname?

EDIT: Left out an image.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:23:30 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 05:56:17 pm »

New update! Preview: Zelk, trade depot, stone, caverns, sphalerite sea serpent, migrants, some more story!

-----

Slate 28, 251
At some point, one muskox was replaced by FIVE zombie elk. They are on either side of us...we need to hit stone quick.

Felsite 1, 251
For various optimistic reasons, I order a trade depot built. For various ironic reasons (and because we lack any other construction material), I have it made out of ice.

Felsite 3, 251
Another cavein, another day, another report of zero injuries. This time, however, not only is there no annoying aquifer layer still below...

...but, somehow, we have discovered the existance of hematite and dolomite under the aquifer!
Well, it's time to...not roll up our sleeves, that'd cause frostbite...but prepare for hard work however these ice-goblins do.
Also, the zombie-muskox left, leaving only its zelk brethren.

And to top it off, the snowstorm stopped! Praise all gods, known and unknown!

Felsite 10, 251
That didn't last long. The smowstorm's back.

Felsite 12, 251
Well, we have officially reached Stone. We will soon be able to hervest the riches of the depths! And, to top it off, I have been told that some strange quality of this land has allowed the peat in the first tunnel to be collected and fored into potterry!
[I modded, mainly to provide a means of continuing tension and creepiness. Don't worry, you'll see.]
Also, somehow someone caused a cavein, which killed Gizogen XI and destroyed our way do--
*savescum*
I noticed a dangerous ice formation and decided not to have Gizogen clear it.
I then order a kiln built.

You know, we just might live.

Felsite 13, 251
We strike sphalerite. I have an inspiration to build a giant sea serpent out of it in someone's honor.
[I promised to do that, but never did. Might build it now.
Once I get basic stuff set up first, of course.]

Felsite 15, 251
The kiln is built.

Felsite 18, 251
Since it's the first workshop to have been dug out, I build a tanner's shop.

Felsite 20, 251
The area intended to turn wood into ash, lye, soap, and charcoal has been dug out. Shame that we won't be building anything there for a while. Gizogen then plunges headlong into digging out the exploratory staircase.

Felsite 21, 251
More sphalerite. More urge to build a giant sea serpent.
...How are they different from giant snakes, again?

Felsite 22, 251
I decide to build a mason's workshop before the space is actually dug out.

Felsite 23, 251
I order up a little stone furniture for me to make. Twenty items, not much.
Oh, and the blizzard lifted again.
Third, when Gizogen strikes sphalerite, I have the image, yet again, of the stone sea serpent...
Finally, we struck the caverns! Joyous! There are plants and minerals but none of the undead (or living, aside from us) in the depths, but as of yet only a little pool of water. Preparations are made both to utilise these new resources and to dig deeper still.

Felsite 25, 251
Having dug as deep as I had instructed, Gizogen returns to the fort proper to dig out some more.

Hematite 1, 251
I choose a spot to build the base of the serpent. It will be a mighty sea serpent, arcing our of the snow!

Hemaite 2, 251
Gizogen starts digging out the future wood stockpile for some reason.

Hematite 3, 251
I decide that Whipdimpled should be an herbalist for when we reach the cavern floor.

Hematite 5, 251
Gizogen has chosen to take a break from the wood stockpile to dig out the siege-workshop-area. Ye gods, is he trying to dig the least important parts out first?
At some point, three of the zombelk wandered off. These zombies aren't remotely frightening. I take Shotlances out of the dangerous military duty.

[They've been “lovers” for a while, but it hasn't had a chance to come up.]

Hematite 8, 251
Gizogen has finished the siege workshop area and is starting to dig out the carpentry area. Excel--wait, we don't have any wood yet.
Oh, wow, native gold in the carpenter's workshop! Only enough for a few bars, but it's gold!
Oh, and it started snowing again. Ugh.
Oh, and another zelf wandered in at some point.

Hematite 14, 251
Gizogen has finished mining the carpenter's workshop area. Now to build it!

Hematite 15, 251
The blizzard stopped, and Gizogen finished the last chunk of rock in the way of the leatherworking area.
Wait, we don't have any leatherworkers.

Hematite 16, 251
The carpenter's workshop is built.
Also, the wood stockpile is all dug out.

Hematite 17, 251
The bowyer's workshop area is dug out.
Actually, thanks to union regulations, that needs to be the carpenter's workshop area...better switch them...

Hematite 18, 251
Working from the staircase leading to the tannery, Gizogen dug out the butchery workshop area. More native gold was struck as he dug out of the area.
Also, Deduk made the correctly-placed carpenter's workshop.

Hematite 20, 251
With the craftsdwarf's workshop adjacent about halfway dug out, Rimbound builds the butchery.

Hematite 22, 251
I believe this was our first harvest today. I might be wrong, though.

Hematite 23, 251
You'll never guess what happened today.

We have more citizens!

Four dwarves and four animals showed up at the edge of our area. They introduced themselves. The first, a flimsy, strong-minded woman named Kivish Worknets, was a novice brewer, high master grower, and talented metal crafter. I tell her to do all three. The second, a clumsy, imaginitive, but weak-minded lady, revealed herself to be a talented glassmaker and to have hunted animals a lot while they were travelling. She will be drafted. She has a pet gosling named Onul Guildfortress who will be useful for egg production when she grows up. She is followed by Urdim Ropeclouted, an inexhaustible and practical-minded wrestler, potter (hobbies, although the former got turned to military bent due to circumstances), and leatherworker. She will be our militia commander. The last to show up is Erush Hailedwires, an adequate mechanic who will be taking over the job. She is creative, good at focusing, and durable, but also forgetful. There was a fifth dwarf, the only male of the group, who left before I could ask his name.
Also along are a reindeer calf and a horse foal (to be slaughtered) and a female kitten (to pe put to work defending the food stockpiles).

Naturally, I wanted to know how they got here and why they came. Apparently, there is another settlement not too far from here, also composed of refugees from goblin attacks, but without the luxury of picks. They numbered thirty-seven once, but as of the beginning of Granite only twelve remained, the rest dying of starvation or being killed by the undead that plague this area. They had long since run out of supplies and had turned to drinking melted snow and eating the rotten flesh of zombies, the clothes off their backs, or even the bodies of other dwarves to survive.
“But how did you find us? It's not like we have a giant bonfire just outside the door!”
“At the beginning of Slate, we saw some puffs of dust, mist, and snow billow into the air. We sent a party of five to investigate, one of whom was going to be sent back to tell the others--”
“And that was you?”
“No. That party was never heard from again, may they rest in peace. We five were sent in late Felsite. We're only about a week to the west, but it was hard finding you guys--until we saw that...thing. Whatever that sphalerite thing is supposed to be.”
...The sea serpent! Hurrah! The sea serpent allowd these new working hands, and these new delicious animals, to find our small fortress! If it brings more I will build a whole farm of sea serpents in hopes of attracting a rescue party!
Sig

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 06:12:32 pm »

Lol. Sounds like you're making the uninhabitable habitable. Hats off too you.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 08:29:48 am »

Not very efficient, though...It's liveable now, but I might need some expertise for a year to make it work well. More on that later, first an update that lasts till the end of summer.

-----

Hematite 24, 251
At some point, Gizogen finished mining out the mechanic's workshop.
Also, I decided to test our new militia on the zelk running around.

Hematite 26, 251
Ropeclouted tried to engage the enemy, but the one zelk that is currently fighting back is seeming to ignore the damage and is knocking over Ropeclouted in a sinister pairing of play and slaying. However, Ropeclouted managed to get back on her feet and hacked the zelk in the head, scaring it. Another zelk joins in, though...Thankfully, while it's hard to judge injuries on the rotten bodies of the zelks (read: It's hard to skim past the “Its X is rotten”), it's clear that Ropeclouted is winning, as the maggots within the zelks are visible and Ropeclouted is not wounded. The third zelk joined in, but suddenly two of the three vanished. Soon the third also vanished, leaving only a rotten nose to signify that it was ever present.
While all that excitement was going on, Gizogen mined out the mason's workshop area.

Hematite 27, 251
The zelk have returned in force—five, to be exact.
Also, the last dwarf returned and introduced himself as Erush Gorgenourish. He is a tall, calm dwarf who is nevertheless quick to anger. He is also a woodcutter. He also likes black-caps for their “gloomy appeal,” and tends towards introspection, so I think he's a bit...gothy. He had a steel axe, though, so he's staying.
Also coming along were Kubuk Mouthcity, a tall and obese woman who works as a fishert worker...person. She seems a bit dull-witted and can't handle stress well, so I have her drafted.
The last dwarf from the settlement is Ducim Menwires, a strange man overall. He found work as a diagnoser before all this happened, and also works as a general-purpose woodworker. The gets rid of Shotlances jobs, so she's going into stone detailing. Menwires has a tenor voice, and has a ponytail, and likes rabbits and butterflies. Is this one merely a short elf? In any case, he has not the personality for medical care, so he's just going to be an assistant/carpenter/bowyer.
[I didn't notice these three last time, somehow. Don't ask me how.]
Also coming with them are a stray billy goat (walking food-sack, I say) and a young chicken who is Mouthcity's pet. She has named her Ezum Boltfence. It is kind of funny, the massive woman and her tiny pet chick.

I also plan a detailed plan for nice, even rooms in large density and quantity in our lower levels, and for expansion of our current stairs so we can reach them more easily, as well as a path into the caverns.

Hematite 28, 251

...So much for my nice, neat plans. I un-designate the bedrooms designated to be placed out in the pillars of stone and look around the second cavern layer.
It is quite...vertically un-challenged. The cavern ceiling extends 25 feet up [NOTE: I assume that z-levels are about 5 feet tall, as well as that tiles are 5x5 ft.] and 160 feet down at the point where Gizogen pierced the caverns, and at least 30 feet down elsewhere. This cavern is hundreds of feet tall, is what I'm saying, so magma traps might not be ideal, even if we seal up that gaping hole we breched the aquifer through and risk warming up the ice.
[I know it won't work like that, but hey, it's good RP.]
The caverns, in addition to being good places to throw goblin prisoners, contain plants as I, a not-well-travelled dwarf until I began travelling with the caravan, have never seen before, like goblin-caps and spore trees. Weird, really. The caverns also expose large amounts of native gold and gems, as well as fair quantites of olivine.

Malachite 1, 251
Also, Menwires made a finely-crafted bed from the last of the maple from our wagon. I chose to put it near the entrance, just below the aquifer pit, so as to allow eeveryone to reach it easily.

Malachite 2, 251
I shifted the bedroom design some.

Malachite 3, 251
To train the militia for the inevitable attack (goblins WILL find us eventually), destroy the undead menace, and avoid the sheer boredom we are facing (the only recreations being a few card games and watching the caverns, and with most of us completely out of work), I send our three militiadwarves to attack the five zelk wandering around up surface.
I also notice something curious. When I bring up a list of available weapons, it includes three goblin-cap blowguns, two black-cap blowguns, a nether-cap blowgun, a black-cap spear, and a blood thorn spear. I think there might be a cave civilization living beneath our feet...

Malachite 5, 251
Mouthcity makes zelk contact first, receiving a few bruises on her leg and upper body, but fails to inflict any notable wound on the zelk. Ropeclouted and Tinblunt come in shortly thereafter, and the three of them join in the melee a la dos trois, as the elves might say. Tinblunt gets a bruised lung, but Ropeclouted remains untouched, and a zelk vanishes, then another, and the third. Mouthcity continues to get bruised up, but he vast rolls of fat prevent further injuries. Mouthcity is again the first to confront the remaining two zelks, with Ropeclouted and then close Tinblunt behind. One vanishes, but the other has its head cut off by Ropeclouted, making her the first to score a kill in Unitebolted.

Malachite 6, 251
And three more zelk arrive...no matter, Ropeclouted deserves a celebration.
Speaking of deserving, despite only getting bruises, Tinblunt demands medical care. This is ludicrous. You are bruised. Look at Mouthcity. She was bruised a lot more, and doesn't have an axe like you do. Suck it up like a true dwarf! Joke's on you anyways, Sigun's on break and wouldn't look at you if you were missing two arms and a leg and gushing blood out of a gaping chest wound and were a legendary axedwarf who had saved the fort time and time again.
I also decide not to expand the sphalerite sea serpent for a while. We're running low on sphalerite anyway.
[Dear Sphalerite: I promise I'll make it up to you.]

Malachite 9, 251
I decide to have a kitchen built out of ice. Some good meals will keep everyones' spirits up.
I also make Deduk a stonecrafter.

Malachite 10, 251
Strange cries that sound oddly like, “Santa! Save me!” indicate that the reindeer has been butchered. Everyone, eager for SOMETHING to do to relieve the enyooee (as the elves say, I think) that surrounds any fortress where going outside means death by zelk or cold, and where inside means nothing to do but try and figure out new stuff to bet in games of Rutherer Rummy and Go Carp and other games.

Malachite 11, 251
The horse foal also was slaughtered, followed by the billy goat. This leaves the pet poultry and the kitten.

Malachite 12, 251
Working as fast as I can, I start tanning the horse skin.
Oh, and I notice that Tinblunt followed my advice. She is no longer bruised at all. Once all of this food is stored, I'll need to have them hunt some more zelk.
I decide to have an ice still built.

Malachite 13, 251
The blizzard started again, not that you can really tell with this constant freeze.
Also, somehow Mouthcity got it into her head to fish. She does so in the aquifer, but I don't have the heart to tell her that nothing could possibly get in there.

Also also, Cloisterscar and Rimbound have been spending a lot of time alone together...

[Somehow, this lead to the train of thought of a plot for a romance: “Even in the frigid darkness of The Foolish Tundras, seven stranded dwarves manage to find true love...” Okay, we're up to thirteen now...]

Malachite 17, 251
Cloisterscar made a roast from cow brain, lung, and tripe, mixed with badger intestines. Well, she's learning, so practice is probably a good purpose to put that stuff to.
Also, Mouthcity decided to stop fishing and get a drink.

Malachite 18, 251
A giant cave swallow has been spotted on the first cavern level! A REAL giant cave swallow! I wish we had some nets or something to catch it with...and a way to get there...and someone to tame it...and a female one, too, also caught and tamed...

Malachite 20, 251
I decide to have the militia go zelk-hunting.
I also dissasemble the redundant mason's workshop.

Malachite 21, 251
Zelk-hunting goes well. Notably, Tinblunt overcomes her previous embarrasemen by going into a martial trance against a zelk and causing it to flee in a puff of smoke. The other two follow suit, without leaving a scratch on the militia.
Mouthcity becomes a wrestler, reminding me that we need weapons. Badly.

Six zombie muskox wander in. Clearly, the zelk mooks were becoming dissatisfied with their place. Time to show them what we're made of!

Malachite 22, 251
Contact with the enemy is made. Mouthcity to the suth flank, Ropeclouted to the north. Mouthcity entered another martial trance, trying to hold off three of the six while Ropeclouted held off two more. End result: All six disapparrated, leaving behind only a single ear; Mouthcity was bruised but that was it for wounds. Five zombie reindeer appeared along with three zombie muskoxen. They. Must. Die. AGAIN!

Malachite 25, 251
Or, since the militia refuses to move, I could just take them off duty.
Oh, and Deduk became a stonecrafter for official purposes today. And Ezum Boltfenced the chick grew up into a large (but still very tiny compared to her master) hen. Hopefully we'll have eggs soon!

Malachite 26, 251
The militia seemed up for a bit of anti-corpse warfare, so I let them. Mouthcity and Ropeclouted ran away from the enemies (!), but Tinblunt showed that valor is the better part of discretion by charging headlong into combat. This action earned her her title as an axedwarf. After vanishing one, she turned to a group of the remaining four zombie reindeer and entered a martial trance.
We have a new militia commander.

Ropeclouted redeems herself by beating on the muskoxen...including biting it. Okay, great, remind me to stay away from the militia ladies...Wow, she jus chopped off two hooves and a leg...

Malachite 28, 251
Apparently aware of the new militia commander's clam to the steel battleaxe, Ropeclouted dropped it and...left it there...

Galena 1, 251
I design a massive dining room which will be the envy of the world over!

It is (or will be) a perfect square, 115x115 feet exactly. It will be smoothed and covered with the finest engravings and filled with the finest furniture we can make.
[Note: As there is no way I will be able to finish this, here's my idea for it:
The first column of tiles to the left will be full of chairs, the column to the right of that with tables, the column next to that empty space, and repeating until the last row to the right has tables. The “empty space” will actually be filled with levers, statues, cages of amazing animals and prisoners awaiting exectuion, weapon traps using artifact blowguns, etc. All should be smoothed and engraved eventually, but wait on the engravings until we have a skilled enough engraver.]

As Ropeclouted complains that she cannot pick up her equipment due to a nearby zelk, I activate the Zombie Killing Squad. Ropeclouted runs into battle instantly, weaponless and clothed only in about half the clothes she came in for some reason. She then proves herself by entering a martial trance and vanishing a zelk with a kick to the leg. She then holds off the zelks while Mouthcity, whose bruises have healed, catches up. This may be the most exercise she's ever done in her life. Mouthcity goes on to vanish two zelks before helping Ropeclouted with the last...And no sooner does the last zelk vanish than do seven zombie muskox appear.

Galena 5, 251
I finaly earn the title of Mason.

Galena 12, 251
Cloisterscar makes a roast using of cow sweetbread, heart, and tripe to “fill out” a meal of horse eye. At least, that's her explanation for why it's a horse-eye roast. Personally, it looks like piles of minced meat baked into vaguely-edible chunks, but they're more appetizing than raw meat.

Galena 13, 251
Cloisterscar gains her title as a cook. This leaves Rimbound as the only peasant.

Galena 14, 251
Cloisterscar finishes her nicest roast yet. It's very well-prepared. Its ingredients are horse spleen, kidney, and intestines baked inside of goat intestines. It might not sound delicious, but after years of travel rations and months of raw meat, it's like mana from heaven.   

Galena 19, 251
There are clouds of miasma in the caverns that have been attributed to zombie crundles and a zombie troll.

Galena 21, 251
Cloisterscar has outdone herself again. She has made a well-prepared horse eye roast garnished with horse tripe, reindeer lung, and cow intestines. Outstanding!

Galena 23, 251
Gizogen has announced himeslf to be Legendary at mining. Great, now get back to work.

Galena 24, 251
Cloisterscar has made another roast at the same level as her last, horse heart with garnishes (forming most of the meal) of cow intestines, goat kidney, and reindeer brain.

Galena 25, 251
I see what seems to be wild plump helmets growing in the fortress and order them picked before they are trampled. Whipdimpled complied immediately, although there was only a single ripe plump helmet.
Mouthcity is fishing in the aquifer again.

Galena 27, 251
Cloisterscar has outdone herself, with a badger intestine roast garnished with hen egg and cave fish. It looks superior! [I just realised that all food quality levels are described the same. D'oh! The last two roasts were +roasts+, the one before that a -roast-, the ones before that had no quality level.]

Galena 28, 251
I've held absolute power for the two seaasons since we settled here, but my interest is waning. Almost twice the number of dwarves we started with are here now, and the new dwarves say that they sent messages to other refugee camps in the area. I need to start delegating before I turn into a dictator. Plus, I wasn't trained to design fortresses, so maybe I should get others' ideas.
I start by making Gorgenourish the broker due to his persuasice abilities. I continue by holding an election to determine if I stay in power or if my position as expedition leader goes to someone else.

-----

So, here's the problem. I'm all tied up with other RL projects and don't want to completely abandon my community fortress. So here's my idea: I take a break here, plays until autumn of next year, and I play the end of 252. That way everyone gets a full year, nothing is overly delayed, and we don't have to re-pierce the aquifer. I've intentionally left the results of the election ambiguous to allow for if people don't like the idea of breaking up the turns, so I could complete the turn if you like, but I can't promise to give it first priority. And, currently, the fort is in a mess. The dining hall and tunnels to the cavern floors have been ignored because Gizogen would rather mine out more bedrooms, we have almost no seeds, an ambush squad or two of legless one-armed kobolds would probably have an even chance at destroying our military if they had copper armor and weapons, etc. All of these problems were caused by me, I admit, and so I'm probably not the best to solve them. But, hey, I got throuh the aquifer!...Although if flying siegers weren't bugged they'd be a big problem...
So, thoughts?
Sig

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2011, 10:30:26 am »

This looks pretty cool but i'm not sure i'd want to take a turn in this place.

There's no one asking for turns after the huge flop at the start of the topic, I guess no one really knows about it. This game has potential! I'm just too much of a wimp for the map.
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2011, 12:11:06 pm »

Why do succession forts I start always fail?

Anyways, here's the save at the end of summer.
Sig
Pages: 1 2 [3]