Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)  (Read 12579 times)

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2011, 07:38:23 am »

Did you ever open the entrance I spent 4 months carving with unskilled miners?

It should take care of all ambushes and moderate sieges with no risk to dwarf lives.

Mind getting some sort of image up and showing me where this is? I have no idea what you were talking about, was it something to do with that 1 urist wide hallway lined with weapon traps and pits?

Also, framerate is pretty bad for my only-halfway-decent computer so probably will try and avoid having as many updates/images as last time.

Putting on a worn fedora, the archaeologist swings down into the old abandoned entrance hall, and carefully walks through the old halls, keenly avoiding all the traps that may or may not still be operational. As you both enter the main hall, you go through the old dining rooms and come to a set of mossy stone workshops, among them one filled with crafting tools. The back logs are still meticulously carved into one of the walls, and you are able to see the memorial slabs that the journal spoke of.

You turn around and trip over an archaic drum, which you note with some distaste is made from dwarf bone. Can't fault them for craftsmanship however... near the drum you find some torn pages of yet another diary...

Momuz Dumatrab, Chief Medical Dwarf of Cudgelpriests
10th Granite, 266
Limulidok won't stop complaining about his injuries! He just lies there every day, trying to put his things away and failing. I also realized we have no hospital, something which must be remedied rather fast. Once Fikodasas finishes with her silly little memorial project, we can get a hospital up and running maybe, assuming no more blasted beasts or

Beyond this point it becomes unintelligible

The archaeologist points to an image engraved on the wall. It is of a massive underground creature, a huge one-eyed beetle that appeared and disappeared long ago.

And nearby, another image of goblins outside in the cold, springing themselves onto migrants who came by.

(At this point there was an ambush as some migrants arrived, right after I opened the drawbridge and the refused to enter... and another... and then some stupid dorfs take the opportunity to rush outside and put something in a tomb, and this is right after I close the drawbridge. Luckily the migrants distract the ambush long enough for most of the *real* dorfs to get back inside, but one miner is stuck in the cold. Sorry buddy, end of the line.)

(And yet another ambush! Sorry migrants, but looks like the fortress is under lockdown for now, don't know how many of the gobbo bastards have buried themselves in the snow and remained dormant up till now)

Too bad too

He woulda been nice to have around. Maybe he'll kill them all? Update on this fellow's status next time!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2011, 05:59:56 pm »

I was surprised by how many military dwarfs there were. Only reason I didn't bother with them is that I had to get the fortress back on it's feet.
Also: there should be somewhere between 4 to 6 Forgotten beasts now in the caverns. My suggestion: Do not open the caverns.
Can we get a list of the active FBs, though?

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2011, 07:06:39 pm »

I left us in a pretty good place militarily. At least as far as ambushes are concerned. With a little micro managing of the equipment, you could probably take any two ambushes at once with only two of the military dwarves. Send three if you want to make sure you don't lose any dwarves.

Also, I designated and started stocking a hospital; which is also noted in the update mentioned in my previous post. Once the well is up and running, just add a couple of traction benches and you are good to go.

On effective use of the gate-o-doom. Leave it open at all times and migrants and traders will come safely through. Ambushers and siegers that aren't trap avoid should get to the line of weapon traps, dodge into the pit and die. In a medium or larger sized siege where the later attackers make it across by walking on the corpses of their fellow siegers, open the retracting bridge and then let down the draw bridge on the keep up top. The attackers' pathing will change and they will walk back across the line of traps, possibly dodging into the pit and if they make it back outside, close the raising drawbridge at the entrance to the gate-o-doom to let the dorfs clean the traps. If there are only a handful of attackers left, let them enter the keep and get caged. If their are still a bunch of them left close the keep gate and re-open the gate-o-doom bridges once the traps are clear.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2011, 05:00:23 am »

Okay I have no idea how these levers work, but there seems to be one hooked up to two seperate entrances, which kinda screwed me over at one point. I wanted to lure them in but instead I just opened up the back door!

You find some old rusted armour along with a couple of combat reports. Shortly after the mass ambush, a mishap involving drawbridges had occured and the military had been sent to hold the breech while the issue was resolved. Following is a series of blow-by-blow accounts of the attack, ending in two dead axedwarves, but a goblin rout!

Look at the lil bastards run for it.

A look around the hospital shows rather crude backlogs of one of the casualties of the fight, a thresher in his normal life. Several broken bones. It also shows the diagnoser, and behind the chart you find an old journal hidden, of the medical dwarf at the time

Tun Amasathel, 3rd Felsite, 266
Wow! They finally noticed that I'm better than just hauling around those damn rocks so much and hired me as the doctor! Good thing too, one of the soldiers coming in (one of the living ones anyway) was beaten up pretty badly. I'll have a look at him later today, I have to get my white coat first!

Well I just diagnosed him, and it doesn't look good...

His wounds need cleaning, but without soap it will be difficult to stop infection. He needs surgery too, some bone setting, suturing and wound dressing, along with immobilization. It won't be easy but I should be able to fix him up. I don't know the first thing about surgery, but we have a few novices to cover everything aside from wound dressing. I'm optimistic, I think he'll be back on his feet and killing goblins again in no time!

8th Felsite, 266
Oh dear, I think our surgeon screwed something up... Ahh well, time to suture him up this time I guess...

The Archaeologist calls you over and you stuff the journal into your bag for future reading. Some boring old military records show more soldiers being drafted into the two squads at this time. Interestingly it also shows that a passage to the surface long out of commission was being opened up, although what relevance this had to the military, you do not know.

*On a side note, even with the drawbridges lowered there is no Depot access, we won't be getting caravans for a while until I/someone gets the balls to go outside and fix it.*

Sorry about the rather brief updates, slow framerate and limited playtime are taking the piss out of me. Should be able to play longer later this week though, got two days off.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2011, 03:01:47 am »

... Is it live or is it dead?
Must we cast stones into the abyss to discover the tale?

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2011, 08:41:23 am »

Maybe we should vote and let Enigma skip his turn?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]