Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What have I done  (Read 1849 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: What have I done
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 12:35:13 pm »

Bones for various uses are basically why I bring cats/dogs on embark and let them breed a while before culling like mad.  A good meat industry via kittens and/or puppies will also supply all the bone you need for moods, crossbows, and bolts rather quickly.  Bone is a renewable resource!
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Flodeklojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »

i've had this problem once too, a dwarf didn't take any bones while i had plenty of bones/body parts/skeletons but i made it work by sending a dwarf to fish and then processing the fish. Guess he was waiting for fish bones. The second time i had this, i didn't have any fish (desert embark) and no caravan came in time...he went berserk and i had to take him down.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 05:02:25 pm »

What's wrong with slaughtering kittens to feed your fortress?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 05:08:41 pm »

What's wrong with slaughtering kittens to feed your fortress?
It's wasteful, that's why. And pointless. Kittens don't give any meat. Killing kittens for food is pointless and barbaric. Cats on the other hand...
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 05:10:09 pm »

Killing kittens is never pointless.

Killing kittens is its own reward.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 05:16:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure that skeletons DO work. They decompose right now but don't actually end up as a pile of bones, which is why it's rare to have goblin bone bolts these days if you don't edit your entity ethics to allow sapient butchering.
Dropping them 14 z-levels work, the bodies, and thereby the skeleton, break apart, creating at least some bones.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 05:42:21 pm »

Yeah. That's the "rare" part I mentioned. I can't be bothered to create a bone-grinder every single fort. Although all these posts are making me wonder if I've just imagined moody dorfs picking up skeletons and using 'em just like bones.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 10:25:25 pm »

In my experience, unused bones can rot (e.g., queue up bone bolts only to receive the "no unrotten bones available") so it is entirely possibly you just needed to butcher an animal in order to get fresh bones to use.  Jelle is also correct that the moody dwarf may have needed more bones than you had available at the time.  IIRC they won't collect any bones until you have enough for their mood.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]