Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best professions for attribute training ?  (Read 935 times)

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best professions for attribute training ?
« on: October 13, 2011, 07:17:30 am »

Hello all

I'm setting up a dedicated training area for 20 recruits in my fortress. Basically they have plenty of food and booze, picks furnitures and are isolated from the main fort. They'll dig and smooth floors until they all get legendary+5 in mining & stone detailing to train attributes.

Mainly, i want to train strength, agility, willpower, endurance.

So i'm wondering, where should i move next ? Milling (in quern) sounds to be a great training for strength, but i'm not sure. I think i'll put them all on masons duty next to clean up all of those stones on the floor.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best professions for attribute training ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 07:22:54 am »

To be honest, a danger room sounds like the best thing for that.

For willpower... can't you train that by just hurting them over and over again? Oh well. It won't hurt to try. Wait... yes it will. It won't hurt you though.
[Signature]

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 08:31:35 am »

If you dig up on certain slade wall tiles, it's possible to get a slade boulder. you can use one of these, as well as custom stockpiles, to have your military applicants haul a few tons of solid rock back and forth for a while.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:48:36 am »

Pump operating is well known for raising strenght and endurance. My most successful non-danger room militaries have always been legendary pump operators.

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:28:12 am »

Thanks for your answers guys!

To be honest, a danger room sounds like the best thing for that.
Maybe, but it doesn't sounds right  ;)

Quote from: ASCIt
you can use one of these, as well as custom stockpiles, to have your military applicants haul a few tons of solid rock back and forth for a while.
Are you absolutely sure about that ? In my own fort, i alway made my bins out of lead and my barrels of gold (both very heavy and useless) to train my haulers (strength). I remember reading something like "hauling do not train attributes" but i'm not quite sure about it. About slade, what kind of heaviness are we talking about here ?

Quote from: RenoFox
Pump operating is well known for raising strenght and endurance
Damn you're right ! Do i need the pump to be actually pumping something (like water) ?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 11:48:05 am »

About slade, what kind of heaviness are we talking about here ?

Slade is about 10 times as dense as depleted uranium - a slade boulder (which would be a half-meter diameter sphere) weighs about 31,000 pounds.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 03:06:11 pm »

Rock crafts and engineering workshop for agility. profit for your fort to trade and practical.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 03:18:58 pm »

Damn you're right ! Do i need the pump to be actually pumping something (like water) ?
Nope, it just needs to be pumped and the dwarf will build stats. Dwarven air recyclers ftw

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:59:43 pm »

Nope, it just needs to be pumped and the dwarf will build stats. Dwarven air recyclers ftw

I can just imagine a dwarf sitting in a dark room, pumping absolutely nothing for 18 hours a day, thinking to himself "What the hell am I doing?"
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 04:17:29 pm »

Funny, I can imagine a dwarf pumping nothing for days on end thinking: "Must. Get. Stronger. Must. Pump. Air."
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:22:16 pm »

We need to make a dwarven spacecraft with a central water reactor, that powers the air pumps.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 04:23:09 pm »

I can just imagine a dwarf sitting in a dark room, pumping absolutely nothing for 18 hours a day, thinking to himself "What the hell am I doing?"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.