Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BEAR CAVALRY  (Read 4730 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: BEAR CAVALRY
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 11:00:43 pm »

A good bear swarm WILL take down goblins, because goblins are not fully armored.  Arm and leg bites will pile up quickly, given enough bears.  Plus, small bears are easier to kill and don't distract a goblin quite as long.  When it's just as easy to cage them and wait a year for a fully grown war bear, you might as well do it right.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 03:05:16 am »

Am i the only person who just dumps junk in magma and thrives soley on home produced stuff? I am anal retentive over junk. :T
I don't dump goblinite in magma, I dump it on elves.  I love the mental image of the elves walking away happy from a deal where they give me valuable things(and also rope reed) in return for 3 camel loads of used troll fur loincloths.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 12:09:20 pm »

War animals also follow whoever trained them.  Enable animal training on your commander.

This is very useful. If you assign a war animal to a dwarf, and the animal dies, the dwarf gets a bad thought from having a pet die. And you can definitely count on war animals dying. But if you don't assign it to a dwarf, it will just follow the dwarf who trained it and when it dies, the trainer doesn't care.

So I've enabled animal training on all of my soldiers (and disabled it on everyone else), and then I put a "train war dog" job in the kennel. An off-duty soldier comes and trains a dog, then I go to Dwarf Therapist and sort by training and find the guy that now has 30xp in it, and turn it off for him. Then I put another train war dog job in the kennel and let the next soldier come train the next dog. It's a little bit of micro-management, but i just come back to the kennel from time to time and check to see if the job has been done. And now almost all of my soldiers have faithful war dogs trailing them around (except for the guy with a War Giant Jaguar).

And nobody got sad when a half dozen of the dogs got killed by a FB. But the FB spent a lot of time detaching dogs and hitting dogs when it could have been hitting dwarves with its deadly sting.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 12:15:20 pm »

Most war animals are really rather useless against gobbo's though. They're a distraction at best but they can play hell on your framerate.

Giant beasts tend to be more effective.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »

Employing war animals in a cage bomb tends to be more effective than fielding them as fighters: pen up all but one adult male in a cage at your entrance, attach the cage to a pressure plate.  Stuff war dogs in it too, and anything else you've got.  War animals may not be terribly effective, but when a swarm of 50 is released on your enemies it makes for quite a show.

This WILL kill your framerate when it fires, though.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 10:29:49 pm »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 10:39:16 pm »

And here I thought this was going to be about an elf siege charging in with polar bear mounts.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 12:51:36 pm »

Employing war animals in a cage bomb tends to be more effective than fielding them as fighters: pen up all but one adult male in a cage at your entrance, attach the cage to a pressure plate.  Stuff war dogs in it too, and anything else you've got.  War animals may not be terribly effective, but when a swarm of 50 is released on your enemies it makes for quite a show.

This WILL kill your framerate when it fires, though.

I believe Syrupleaf did this with war moles. they called it MOLENAROK, and it actually tore several sieges apart before it lost too many moles to be effective.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 09:57:50 am »

Ooh, this reminds me of a vaguely relevant question: I've got a stray war cave crocodile and I know it has kill-power. I have a stray war gorlak and it has kill-power but not an awful lot and needs practice. I know a giant bat (an untrained one) is quite capable of killing a non-military dwarf but won't stand up to military dwarves. I know my giant war toad is useless.

However, I'm wondering how efficient my stray war giant rat and stray war giant moles would be.

I still have some goblins and elk birds left to process so I could test it out but that won't give me any information regarding their efficiency against armed and (poorly-)armoured goblins. Can anyone help me out here? Is it worth bringing them up for a fight or should I just leave them to loiter?
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 10:59:28 am »

Well both giant rats and giant moles are about 3.33 times as large as a dwarf, so I would think that they would at least have some effect. It might not be that much against someone with armor though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 12:42:22 am »

To really be effective, war animals need size, useful attacks, and numbers on their side. Giant Moles and Rats have both of the first two; it's the latter that's the problem. Both Giant Moles and Giant/Large Rats only live two to three years by default. Barring altering the raws to make them live longer, you're going to have a difficult time replacing losses or even building up an army of them in the first place.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 12:48:24 am »

I'm pretty sure they tend to breed in huge numbers, though: you just need to get a good starting population.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Pages: 1 [2]