Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Barrels  (Read 1547 times)

darthsuegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about Barrels
« on: October 09, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for some time now, but I have a question that I simply cannot find the answer to. If I do not have a carpenter repeating making barrels, eventually my brewer runs out of barrels to use and alcohol production is stopped entirely. What happens to the barrels that are left over after dwarves drink? Are the barrels simply used by my farmer for the food stockpile? Is there any way that I can set the barrels that are used for brewing to be *only* used for brewing, instead of being grabbed up for a food barrel, that way I can save wood and labor on making barrels? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Barrels
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 05:39:41 pm »

Well, I'm not sure if you can prioritize barrels but... (looks around) come closer, and let me show you the magical secret of...
rock pots!
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Pot

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:48:05 pm »

Create multiple food stockpiles.  Make some that only accept food types that need to be stored in barrels:  booze, milk, syrup, lye.  Leave those set to maximum barrels allowed.  Make other food stockpiles that accept anything that doesn't need to be stored in barrels, including plants.  Set the maximum barrels on those stockpiles to zero. Problem solved.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

darthsuegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:00:09 pm »

Both of those seem like good solutions, and I didn't know about rock pots. Thank you.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 09:42:52 pm »

Hit 'p' to bring up the stockpile listings.

Press and hold '*' to raise the number of Reserved Barrels to a reasonable number. Fifteen works well and you can always adjust it downwards with '/' if need be.

Barrels that have been reserved will be used only for tasks that specifically require barrels such as Brew Drink or Processing Plants to Barrel. If you have, for instance, twenty barrels with fifteen of them reserved, the five extra will be used for storing plants, meat, or whatever the dwarves need them for while the first fifteen will only be used when necessary.

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 02:34:48 am »

Press and hold '*' to raise the number of Reserved Barrels to a reasonable number. Fifteen works well and you can always adjust it downwards with '/' if need be.

Barrels that have been reserved will be used only for tasks that specifically require barrels such as Brew Drink or Processing Plants to Barrel. If you have, for instance, twenty barrels with fifteen of them reserved, the five extra will be used for storing plants, meat, or whatever the dwarves need them for while the first fifteen will only be used when necessary.

Thanks for explaining how reserving barrels works... didn't know that :D
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

darthsuegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:17:47 pm »

Thanks for explaining how reserving barrels works... didn't know that :D

Me either, I thank you for that information

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 11:52:21 pm »

rock pots are the greatest gift the mighty Armok has ever given us.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:54:52 pm »

Now if only we could get rock bins and beds. Wood would be useless. The elves would be happy?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 12:04:44 am »

Now if only we could get rock bins and beds. Wood would be useless. The elves would be happy?

We still need charcoal, ash and siege weapons.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 12:13:35 am »

For bins you can use magma and the omnipresent copper.
There is, however, still steel making, beds, siege engines, and mechanical things (water wheels and such).
Soaplent green is goblins!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 12:34:23 am »

For bins you can use magma and the omnipresent copper.
You can also use gold, silver, pewter, lead, etc to make bins.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 02:27:39 am »

Don't forget about Crossbow training! I use up tons of wood for practice bolts ^^
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 03:44:29 am »

We still need charcoal, ash and siege weapons.
we should be able to make siege weapons from metals, i can tell you from personal experience that a catapult made from steel/aluminum/stainless steel is very effective (at throwing pumpkins :P) maybe someone should mod in metal siege weapons?