Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Training  (Read 3609 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Training
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 07:40:03 pm »

I'm not fond of the idea of trials. You drop 10 dwarves into the caverns with sticks and stones and take those that survive. So maybe you end up with 3 studs. I take all 10. I now have 3 studs, 4 average, and 3 spuds. My 10 can beat your 3, since I still have all of the great ones, plus the others. Yeah, I may lose some of the weaker ones, but at least they'll die doing something useful, like drawing fire away from my studs.

But if you enjoy sending dwarves to pointless deaths making sure you only have the best, most elite soldiers possible, go for it. Play the game the way you enjoy it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 10:13:30 pm »

Trials aren't required, its just fun to do. And it gets rid of useless weak dwarves such as animal dissectors or fish cleaners or something. Then again, theres always the chance that all of them will survive the training. Then I got 10 elites and you got 3 elites and a few chumps.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 03:04:21 am »

I just make a few 'elite' melee squads who get steel/candy armour normally in groups of 7 and a few archer squads in groups of 5 with copper armour until I can equip some with steel or iron. I danger room then until they are decent and then let them train by themselves. My commander heads the Golden Flares and I then modded the game to allow me to make sheilds out of gold, just to give the name more backstory. I prefer axes and swords before I diversify into spears and hammers. I think I made a 'This is Sparta' squad in a previous fort with just spears, boots, sheilds, cloaks, and helmets. They got slaughtered.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 04:24:20 am »

Trial by interview - I look at their biopage to read off stats and personality parameters. Stats are much harder to train than skills and personality never changes.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Rasputin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 06:54:18 am »

My trail is the best:

First of all I assign the Dorf to a squad, then if he manages to:

A: Equip himself
B: Arm himself
C: show up when ordered

Then he is considered one of my Elite.

Anyone who fails just ain't cut out for the Military lifestyle :)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 12:33:27 pm »

Trials aren't required, its just fun to do. And it gets rid of useless weak dwarves such as animal dissectors or fish cleaners or something. Then again, theres always the chance that all of them will survive the training. Then I got 10 elites and you got 3 elites and a few chumps.

No, because your trials don't make them stronger, they just weed out the weaklings. So if we both start with 10 elites, we both end up with 10 elites. If we both start with a bell curve of quality, you end up with a few elites, and I end up with a few elites, a few average, and a few chumps.

Of course, I need more armor and weapons for my larger force. But even if we both have limited metal, I can still equip my elites as well as you can, and leave my cannon fodder in leather. They're less of an advantage, but they're still useful. And it's easy to equip archers, so I can make my chumps into archers and they don't need good armor. This all assumes that I can sort out the elites from the chumps without killing the chumps. As many people have noted, looking at their strengths and weaknesses would be effective for that.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 03:55:20 pm »

I like the Trial By Whatever Small Tasty-Looking Creature Wanders Onto the Map First--you know, the TBWSTLCWOMF (tib-wis-tulc-womph, with somewhat arbitrary vowel sounds added).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 10:38:20 pm »

I guess we both just have diffirent ways of thinking. You care about your dwarves and I prefer to have !!fun!! with my own. And dwarves suffer pointless deaths all the time. And no, I don't just toss them into the caverns and let them back in. They actually have to fight down there for a while before I let them out. If they all survive, they're a little bit stronger and aren't just "canon fodder".
Pages: 1 [2]