Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are there any PC games that are in the style of Zelda games?  (Read 9546 times)

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
Are there any PC games that are in the style of Zelda games?
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:06 pm »

I am a big fan of the Zelda games, mostly for their good mix of combat/puzzles as well as overworld/dungeon and plot/action elements. Most RPGs on the PC are stat heavy things where you level up and the like, but I was wondering if there were any zeldalikes for PC that were any fun. If you have a suggestion, please tell me what exactly the game is like, because chances are I don't know about it.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any PC games that are in the style of Zelda games?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 05:11:01 pm »

Well it SORT of feels like a Zelda game, although people tend to get peeved when compared to one. Have you played Darksiders?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »

The Binding of Isaac is exceedingly Zelda-like....sans the open world.

Darksiders....has the Zelda vibe going, but it's trapped in a modern 3rd person beat 'em up. So, while it has the same kind of inventory/life system...it's not really Zelda-like. It was just the closest thing the reviewers could place it to.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:13:31 pm »

Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

All you will ever need.
This is a blank sig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:16:41 pm »

Yeah, if you get over the God of War quick-time-event-ridden modernity of Darksiders it's basically 1998 all over again, the overall design of Darksiders made me feel like I was a kid again.
Shoes...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:22:58 pm »

Might check this out. A little shorter than most zelda games and possibly a bit less in depth, but it's fairly decent. Fairly close in style, gameplay wise, to Link to the Past. It's also freeware, so yeah.

If you're willing to dip into emulators, you might check out the old sega genesis games Beyond Oasis(/Story of Thor) and Crusaders of Centy.

Quick E: I'm actually quite sure there's a fair amount more, as I know I've played some others in the older Zelda style, but those are the ones I'm remembering off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:25:05 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:37:29 pm »

http://zeldaclassic.com/

You might consider trying to look for fan-created content here.  I can't vouch for its quality though.

Also, for whatever utterly bizarre reason, there's a Game Boy Color version of Daikatana that's basically a Zelda clone.  About 3 hours long, not too bad, actually.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 08:02:06 pm »

Lynn's Legacy - Windows Download

A freeware open source Zelda-like game written in FreeBASIC that I remember being release back right before I stopped being a part of it...wow, 6 years ago now. Response tended to be positive with a couple gripes. I can't remember how much I played but when you asked for a Zelda-style PC game this was the first thing that came to mind and it wasn't a negative recollection so it must of left some good impression on me xD
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:43:58 pm by MorleyDev »

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:03:56 am »

Ark 22 is some game a guy made. It's got a very classic SNES era Zelda feel, to me at least. Decent level design and puzzles, pretty challenging at times. Short as it was, I found it quite enjoyable. I'd post a pic but honestly the setting is pretty drab and it wouldn't be much to look at.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 01:15:41 am »

Chantelise feels like a 3d zelda game. You even have a fairy with out but less annoying.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:56:41 am »

Binding of Isaac has already been mentioned, but since it's the only relevant game I've played I'll expand on it.

It's basically a Zelda dungeon crossed with a roguelike. You have a ranged attack, but you also have hearts and equipment. It's real time, not turn based like most Roguelikes, and the enemies have similar feels with projectiles and movement patterns and such. There are also bosses that feel more like Zelda bosses than anything in a roguelike.

Also, everything is randomized, and it's pretty hard. Typical roguelike stuff there. Also the setting is weird as hell and kind of disturbing.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 02:15:34 am »

Graal Online.

Shit that brings back memories.

Bad ones, but it's still worth a look.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 06:02:57 am »

What about beyond good and evil?
Have you played that?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 07:47:16 am »

Graal Online.
This. Back when it was totally f2p it was essentially like an online clone of the SNES Zelda. I'm not really sure what's happening with it anymore, though.

Also, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver kinda fits - the world is open with places being inaccessible only if you don't have the right abilities (which gain by beating bosses), you find life upgrades, and you solve puzzles.

EDIT: Wait. Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen is even more in the style of Zelda games, since that's got more powers and it's got items and equipment (compared to Soul Reaver).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:52:58 am by Virtz »