Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tombs  (Read 1004 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Tombs
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:38:24 pm »

I was trying out building a tomb for the first time today, and was having some trouble designating it for the dwarf I wanted.  Up until this point I'd never had a dwarf die in combat, and figured my military deserved a little better than a single coffin for giving their lives in the defense of the fort.

I couldn't assign the tomb to my dead dwarf though.  I built the coffin and scrolled through the names, but hers wasn't there.  Is it impossible to assign a tomb to an already dead dwarf?  I think there is a non zero chance she may have already been dumped in an available coffin, so is there any way to move either the coffin or her body to the tomb?  After I couldn't get her in the tomb I just built a coffin for them to put her body in, so she's definitely buried now.  I could just make that coffin a tomb, but aesthetically I'd like it somewhere else if that was the case.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Tombs
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:47:05 pm »

Tombs cannot be assigned post-mortem, no.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 11:47:12 pm »

You cannot assign tombs to the dead in specific, they must be assigned to the living in preparation or the coffin simply marked to be used for (b)urial.  make sure to turn off pets if you want a dwarf buried in the coffin, as random burial receptacles will be used for dead domestic animals otherwise.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 11:48:35 pm »

Ah, that sucks.   :(  Will have to remember that for my next fort.  Thanks anyway.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 11:56:47 pm »

You can still bury dead dwarves, and even in a specific coffin if you're a little clever (say, forbid all other corpses)

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »

You can still bury dead dwarves, and even in a specific coffin if you're a little clever (say, forbid all other corpses)

Once a dwarf has been buried though, there's no way to do this, correct?  I haven't tried it, but with cages you can remove and rebuild them where desired.  Is something similar possible with coffins?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:00:27 am »

If you unbuild the coffin, the corpse will be dumped out and can/will be buried again.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 12:25:50 am »

A dead dwarf doesn't (currently) care about a "tomb" room, they only care for a box to be in or a slab in their name, to prevent ghosting.  But with necromancers coming up, there's no telling how a dead dwarf's soul will react to things.

Therefore, even if it's not a proper tomb room, you can put the dwarf into the coffin via careful forbidding and management, and get that corpse into the right hole.  Or burn the corpse in magma, that's how a real dwarf would want to be memorialized, and then put an engraved slab in the tomb.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 01:12:30 am »

Do you need EITHER a coffin or a slab, or both?

It seems the coffin is much easier to deal with, requiring just the one step instead of multiple.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:15:32 am »

either.  Slabs are really for body lost/destroyed dwarves or memorializing enemies (I like to carve a slab for every megabeast, titan, FB, etc. I kill)

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 01:33:08 am »

either.  Slabs are really for body lost/destroyed dwarves or memorializing enemies (I like to carve a slab for every megabeast, titan, FB, etc. I kill)

I didn't even know you could do that, neat :).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 01:43:30 am »

You can slab any dead named creature.  Un-memorialized dwarves are always at the top of the list, including merchants.  Dwarves in a coffin or with a slab will appear mixed amongst the others (I think).

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 02:51:46 pm »

Didn't know that you can memorialize creatures too... Does that mean you can engrave a slab for a pet too, since they have a name? And can you bury dwarven merchants and their guards? Like the kidnapped dwarves from the goblin civilization?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 02:57:49 pm »

I have a lot of tiny bedrooms and, for a while, I tried burying the dwarfs in their bedroom, replacing their bed with a coffin and their cabinet with, if possible, a statue of themselves, but it's very hard to keep track and it's not a very efficient use of space.

What you can do though is make burial halls (I use rooms of 3 by 11 in my current fort) and then place well-made tombs in it, with smoothed and engraved walls and a statue in the end. It looks damn posh and saves a lot of effort from my side.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)