Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: My first "large" fort.  (Read 2846 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: My first "large" fort.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 08:17:11 am »

I know when I did volcano fortresses, getting easy access to magma in mere months (in-game) and can just make a booming metalmaking industry that I really hurt when I didn't have a volcano fortress.
Wait, what? Several months when the magma is right there at the surface?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 08:36:48 am »

I know when I did volcano fortresses, getting easy access to magma in mere months (in-game) and can just make a booming metalmaking industry that I really hurt when I didn't have a volcano fortress.
Wait, what? Several months when the magma is right there at the surface?
Some people like to build up before starting a metal industry... you know basic housing meeting halls ETC
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 10:36:08 am »

Threading a staircase down through the caverns is pretty quick, and setting up housing and items for the meeting hall doesn't involve the miners after they've produced stone (or at all, if you have enough surface wood to skip the stoneworking. Bridges count as ceilings, so you can get Inside areas on the surface for cheap). Selecting a site for the metalworking headstart that surface magma gives and then not using it just strikes me as odd.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 11:04:56 am »

Threading a staircase down through the caverns is pretty quick, and setting up housing and items for the meeting hall doesn't involve the miners after they've produced stone (or at all, if you have enough surface wood to skip the stoneworking. Bridges count as ceilings, so you can get Inside areas on the surface for cheap). Selecting a site for the metalworking headstart that surface magma gives and then not using it just strikes me as odd.

I do aboveground settlements, so I want to get some kind of roof over their heads. Then I have to think if I want to put the forges within access of the keep, or if they'll be in their own building. Then before all that, I have to think of where I want to make the town in the first place.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 11:23:17 am »

In above ground forts, I tend to channel down one level, in order to create a metal workers pit, just in case of magma incident. Usually sending the stairs up one level more than is strictly necessary. Just because I can.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:33 am »

I do aboveground settlements, so I want to get some kind of roof over their heads.
Oh, so it's not just the speed, it's the location. If you build primarily above ground then having your magma pre-pumped would be handy, yes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]