Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I'm Writing As Well  (Read 951 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
So I'm Writing As Well
« on: October 18, 2011, 05:38:50 pm »

I'm just going to rip off everyone here, I guess. I write, but I want to improve my abilities. So, you guys ask for a few paragraphs of something. It can be in the middle of a novel you want to write, or just a standalone piece, but it has to be your idea.

Without further ado, let's start.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm Writing As Well
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:58:28 pm »

ask for a few paragraphs of something.

Final sixty seconds of the life of a man before he jumps off a building, with particular focus on his internal mental and emotional dialogue with himself. Clear understanding of his exact motive for jumping, or the events leading up to it are unimportant and optional. I want to know what he's thinking and how he feels. Include an ironic twist or perspective shift before he hits the ground.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:51:37 am »

Final sixty seconds of the life of a man before he jumps off a building, with particular focus on his internal mental and emotional dialogue with himself. Clear understanding of his exact motive for jumping, or the events leading up to it are unimportant and optional. I want to know what he's thinking and how he feels. Include an ironic twist or perspective shift before he hits the ground.

This is way too complex for a basic writing prompt exercise, man.   You gotta keep things loose and simple, otherwise it's going to do nothing but frustrate.  These sorts of things need to be disposable, so you don't get attached if you like it or hate it.   

Try describing opening a can of iced tea on a hot day and the following consumption of it, in both second and third person perspective.  Write about walking across the lawn barefoot to get the paper and enjoying the sensation, and then the same scenario and hating the sensation.  I find that pairing up these sorts of things helps you keep an eye on exactly what materials you're working with, rather than the stream-of-consciousness messes some people consider to be good practice writing.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:00:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)