Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't mass pit, details enclosed  (Read 737 times)

Azzamean

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can't mass pit, details enclosed
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:51:00 pm »

Hi,

I'm trying to mass pit my hostiles in cages.

I channeled out 10 Z-Levels. On the top level I created a floor with holes. I covered up those holes with floor hatches.
I then put an animal stockpile around those floor hatches and then zoned the 6 floor hatches. I have a 6 Zone pit with goblins in cages around.

Whenever I try to assign those cages to the pit, nothing happens. None of the dwarves move the cages? I am currently being seiged but I have closed off the fort.

I can't figure out why none of the dwaves are moving the cages. There are 50 idles dwarves so there must be another reason?

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't mass pit, details enclosed
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 05:22:02 pm »

Did you put the zone only on top of the hatch?
If it is the case, it won't work : The zone needs to include the place the dwarf will stand on. So, it must at least be 2 squares : the pit, and one floor near it where the dwarf will stand.
I usually design the whole room (with all it's hatches) as a pitting zone : this way, the dwarf gets the goblin, and throw it in the nearest hole.
If you design several pitting zones, you risk having a dwarf take a faraway goblin, and drag it to your hatch ; The mass-pitting rooms are designed purposefully to minimize this, by having each cage near a hatch, and letting the dwarf choose the nearest one.

Azzamean

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:42:49 pm »

I tried to zone the entire room and it doesn't do anything =/

I have a door outside (unlocked), 6 floor hatches, zoned the entire room as a Pit. Then tried to assign.

Here is the room:

Azzamean

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:43:46 pm »

Ok this is really weird, after the siege I turned off my citizen alert. And the dwarves started filling up my stockpile with more cages. And then it started to work!

I checked my burrows and they could indeed get into the stockpile and pit during this peroid.

Is it possible that during citizen alerts that they do not dump cages?