Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Stone stockpiles for mason+mechanic: useful or useless?  (Read 3376 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Stone stockpiles for mason+mechanic: useful or useless?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 02:28:05 pm »

Quantum stockpiles work well when it comes to shuffling stones quickly before assigning stockpiles around workshops/project sites (shorter reload paths). I also use it more to clean up places before I make use of them or the stones taken from them.

hat I generally do is follow that rule of thumb, and setup either individual bundles of stone, pre-quantum stockpiled separations in their own assigned stockpile (makes un/forbidding easier), or have a central stockpile/dump, and make several separate factories assigned to their particular color/materials. Makes choosing easier with more ease. Placing the central stone stockpile in a close spot to collection should also keep the peasant from getting too worn out hauling to and to and from the central stockpile.

Of course, that also depends on how much of the fort is already developed by then. I tend to evolve the stockpiling in that regard by then as transition.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:29:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 01:13:54 pm »

They tend to use the nearest rock in x and y term, but do not acount for z, so instead of taking the rock 5 squares away, they will take the one 2 squares away, but 35 z level below, in the middle of my exploratory-mining labyrinth.

Indeed? I wondered why they would sometimes refuse to grab the nearest stone and vanish down the stairs. This could be the reason. I didn't explore this further thinking they'd grab the nearest stone at the time they went on the job because they seemed to turn on the nearby piles eventually. Is this behaviour confirmed?

I don't have external confirmation, but it's something I witnessed first hand in numerous occasions.
If you look your other z levels, you'll see they have an "rockless aura" around you workshop x/y positions. And when you follow one of your masons once they've cleared the ground immediately around their workplace, you can often see him go grab a rock in that tetraedrite extraction tunnel right under workshop, but many levels lower (and maybe quite a few twist-and-turns away if you have a maze of mines and defensive works)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 02:52:07 pm »

I tend to run a single tile wide stone stockpile next to my masonry/crafting workshops.

Example
Code: [Select]
===============
===============
Stone Stockpile
Workshop areas

Though this doesn't make a huge difference early on, I've found that later it can massively increase my production rate (of course it now takes 3 more haulers per workshop to keep the stockpile full, but hey, I have tons of those). I also found that you can then use it to somewhat control what material said things are made of, as if you set the stone stockpile to only accept bauxite then most of your created things are going to be made of bauxite since it is the nearest stone.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 2 [3]