Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I Finally snapped  (Read 883 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I Finally snapped
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:45:57 am »

And lost my temper with those tree hugging hippies. Elf blood shall decorate my halls. What's the best way to deal with elven sieges?
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: I Finally snapped
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 01:54:39 am »

Magma. Failing that, a wave of dwarven steel.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:31:58 am »

Any way that doesn't get your dwarves within range of their archers. Cramped hallways are a favourite.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 02:47:08 am »

Cover your dwarves in heavy, semi-mobile plates of steel, powered if possible.  Also they should wear socks, hoods, and cloaks. Put at least one weapon in their hand and a shield. Train them with captured enemy or livestock for a bit. Drop drawbridge, point finger and say KILL THEY ASS!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 04:17:39 am »

transfer all elves to the reception desk in Hell! I'm sure that the badger demons will be happy.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:31:45 am »

Cover your dwarves in heavy, semi-mobile plates of steel, powered if possible.  Also they should wear socks, hoods, and cloaks. Put at least one weapon in their hand and a shield. Train them with captured enemy or livestock for a bit. Drop drawbridge, point finger and say KILL THEY ASS!
Make sure the livestock are not 'tame'. You don't want a loyalty cascade.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 04:38:22 am »

Too retarded to know how to upload an image so bear with me.

You will obviously need the dual L bend entrances so there is minimal worry about getting shot to death. After that it's a question of how you built your defenses. If you did a 3-bridges style with the dodge trap then call up your hauler/marksdwarf reserves and laugh as elves get shot/dodge into a 15 z-level pit. if you didn't use the dodge trap "exploit" then I'd recommend having a checkerboard section in your entrance (like a pressure deregulator). This will break LoS. Have your melee dwarves in a room dug out below the hallway and connected by floor hatches. wait until the elves are above then bum rush and pray. And as with any entrance, try to have fortifications a z-level or 2 up for ranged support.

If you want to severely piss them off and don't have to worry about needing trees, you can use the immolate-trees from dfhack

Don't forget that they'll be riding shit like giant war-leopards so don't be surprised when a rookie gets his leg ripped off then stabbed in the lung.