Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs getting high skills extremely quickly  (Read 398 times)

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs getting high skills extremely quickly
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »

I started a new fortress on a seed posted here with 38c.

For some reason the all the new dwarves show up and hang out as usual, but here's the thing. All of them seem to have gotten very high conversational levels and they've only been there for a short time. Dwarves that haven't done any work since they got there have maxed out stats (stam, strength, agility) out of nowhere.

To be fair I did use a memory editor (Artmoney) give the originals high stats and lots of supplies but the newbies should be normal. I did turn off Invaders in the init where it was on before, but I did that before migrants showed up.

I also have a dwarf who got the "trader" profession, but I've never even traded during this particular fortress and I didn't bring him along.

I have a theory, my dwarves all congregate in a very tight area (I made the zone like that mainly to keep animals in one place. They could be gaining so much stats in conversation (which would increase the stats too) because there are so many dwarves to talk to. I've seen three marriage in the past game-year, which is three more than other fortresses that have been played for much longer.

If that's true, then it is definitely an exploit and something that could make the game easier. Conversation is mostly useless but they do gain Strength, agility, and constitution from it, which makes a fortress of very hardy dwarves.

This will be useful against the ettin on the map though.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Skooma ]

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs getting high skills extremely quickly
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

I'm having the same issue.  Skills should be classified into two categories:  Physical skills that increase attributes and social skills that don't.  I'd also like to see the latter listed after the former in dwarfs' skills displays (separated by a blank or --- line).

While we're at it, I'd also like to put in a request to slow down engraving skill gain a bit.  Instead of getting 30 skill per floor, perhaps get 20?

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 06:04:00 am »

Social separate from abilities: Seconded.
No opinion on engraving

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

I think  you're missing the finessse of dwarven communication if you don't think dwarves should gain stats from conversation.  You see, what dwarves consider casual conversation is viewed by the members of more refined cultures as a brawl.  This is, however, notably different from goblin conversation as the incidence of maiming and death is lower.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keldor:
<STRONG>I think  you're missing the finessse of dwarven communication if you don't think dwarves should gain stats from conversation.  You see, what dwarves consider casual conversation is viewed by the members of more refined cultures as a brawl.  This is, however, notably different from goblin conversation as the incidence of maiming and death is lower.</STRONG>

LOL

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.